Author Topic: Bitto  (Read 8536 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Bitto
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
:)  Actually, I'm wondering if the Prop.Shermi should be left out.  Bitto doesn't have eyes, and it is treated with a wash to form a b.linens schmeir rind (see Alp's wonderful threads on how to do this in the swiss board).  Also, the lipase could be upped in this one a bit.

Regardless, this is a good cheese as is.  I might try tweaking a few bits on the next make, but this is a  really good starting point.

- Jeff

Hmm, now as I read even more on this cheese, perhaps the small eyes are ok?  In the following, it mentions that, when young, it has small eyes like a bird's eye pattern, which fill in as the paste ages (fills up with a dense liquid apparently).  Still, all the images I've seen are very flat disk cheeses (around 7 - 10 kg disks), with no signs of large swelling.  My general inclination though, is that perhaps the Pro. Shermi is not required if you have raw milk, which will have a more diverse collection of natural micro flora.  A very small amount is probably ok here, but I'm now thinking the dry salting method, and a schmeir rind, is probably the way to go; especially if you can make a larger wheel than I.

http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Bitto_Valtellina_cheese
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:56:25 PM by JeffHamm »

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
Jeff - In the first image with the weights on top of the form, what are you using to press on top of the curds? Did you make something that fits inside the microperf caciotta form?
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
The mould is lined with cheesecloth, and there's a follower placed on top.  Then, I've used Duplo (large sized leggo) to build a small platform and to help reduce "tilting" as it just fits inside the mould.  Then, the weights sit on top of the duplo platform.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »
I was trying to ask about the follower actually.... Did you make it out of something or did you have one from another form that works?
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »
The follower came with the mould.  The Duplo I borrowed from my kids.  The weights are just free weights, and the ones you can see are 5kg each.  Inside the mould are also 2 weights of 2.5 kg each.

- Jeff

amiriliano

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:42 AM »
Look at that perfect knit! Gave you a cheese!