Author Topic: Streptococcus Lactis compared to Lactococcus Lactis  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Streptococcus Lactis compared to Lactococcus Lactis
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Streptococcus Lactis, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus are the two culture strains in my Cultured Bulgarian Buttermilk. The Streptococcus Lactis (SL?) isn't normally listed as a culture you can purchase. I don't know what flavor aspects it would impart compared with say, Lactococcus Lactis (LL).

If I were interested in making a cheese with raw milk and wanted to boost the effectiveness of the ambient ripening bacterial populations, might I use something like buttermilk (SL, LB) combined with...______?

I'm chasing Jeff Hamm's Derby protocol which doesn't seem to define an added ripening culture, but instead relies upon natural flora to achieve ripeness. I'm not brave enough to just attempt a raw milk cheese without a little assistance from added cultures. He has defined a cultural mix...does it seem reasonable?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Streptococcus Lactis compared to Lactococcus Lactis
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
Boof, I think streptoccus lactis is just the former name for lactococcus lactis sub. lactis.
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
I believe you are right: "L. lactis subsp. lactis (formerly Streptococcus lactis[22]) is used in the early stages for the production of many cheeses" from wikipedia. But I wonder why the dairy would continue to reference it with the former name in their product? Eh, someone overlooked the updating or didn't get the memo. ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
Or they deliberately did it to look "different" from other brands on the market.  ::)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...