Author Topic: Fourme d'Ambert with very poor posture  (Read 10034 times)

graysalchemy

Re: Fourme d'Ambert with very poor posture
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
Its not a flame war at all, just a continuation of a discussion on a separate thread re Tiarella's neglected cheese.  ;)

This must be the friendliest "Flame War" I've ever seen  :)

Cheers, GD.

PS. I see that Edward Snowden had been on stage at TED... next thing he'll be telling us that the NSA have been spying on us using the "eyes" in Swiss Cheese!

Lol

'Spy on the roof of the world' is a great read, true story set in the 1950's when a Welshman was captured by the chinese on the Indo Tibetan border accused of spying. He convinced his captors that MI6 with the help of Tensing Norgay and Edmund Hillary had placed spying equipment on top of Everest. Probably the reason why the Chinese were hell bent on scaling everest in 1960. So Snowdens swiss cheese eyes theory could well be pluasable.  ;) ;)

Tallpoppy

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
Scared about the possibility of being spied on via my jarlsberg i've taken the drastic step of cutting all the eyes out of my cheese.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »
Scared about the possibility of being spied on via my jarlsberg i've taken the drastic step of cutting all the eyes out of my cheese.

Good thing!  Can't be too careful!!!   8)

GlabrousD

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 05:20:42 AM »
I've seriously considered cutting the eyes out of my potatoes for the same reason.

Slumpy and Dumpy have still not learned to sit up correctly but are at least turning blue... not really smelly yet (unlike my younger Stilton) but still putting in a good effort.

Cheers, GD

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:11 AM »
Love seeing the photos and look forward to the taste test write up!   ;D

GlabrousD

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:42 AM »
Thanks very much Tiarella,

Hopefully ready to taste in another three weeks :)

Cheers, GD.

george

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »
Just a suggestion, mostly 'cause it's fun to do -

You should very gently pet the big guy and then pet the little guy to transfer some more blue - let the runt catch up.  ;D

It's also fun to say, especially when stuck in a never-ending phone converation - "sorry, gotta go pet my cheeses!"  :P

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
Just a suggestion, mostly 'cause it's fun to do -

You should very gently pet the big guy and then pet the little guy to transfer some more blue - let the runt catch up.  ;D

It's also fun to say, especially when stuck in a never-ending phone converation - "sorry, gotta go pet my cheeses!"  :P

I think extravagant praise while patting is always a good idea.  Healthy self esteem can go a long way towards improving posture.   ^-^

GlabrousD

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice MaryJ & Tiarella.

Personally I bring up my cheeses with Victorian values... if they don't buck up their ideas then they're being sent to the workhouse!

We'll see what a short stint as a chimney-sweep or a sewer-rat does for their behaviour! Harsh but fair, harsh but fair - I'm only doing this because I love them!

Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Well Dumpy and Slumpy have reached their 25th day old and, although Dumpy is lagging, look pretty good to me. Mind you, what do I know :)

Cheers, GD.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »
As a proud parent you have a right to be proud of how beautiful they are!!!

GlabrousD

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
Thanks Tiarella - I'm choking up with emotion I'm so proud of the little fellows :)

Cheers, GD.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »
Thanks Tiarella - I'm choking up with emotion I'm so proud of the little fellows :)

Cheers, GD.

you deserve to be proud of them!  Careful parental guidance has paid off and you've raised a couple of responsible cheese citizens.

GlabrousD

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 03:50:09 AM »
So kind of you to say so Tiarella... now I can't wait to cut them up and eat them... Oh dear there goes my Good Parenting Award :(

Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 05:11:01 AM »
An update...

well Slumpy and Dumpy have been resting in the cave with daily, half hour forays out to room temperature. I've re-peirced them and they looked to be doing fine... until yesterday.

Dumpy is still a happy little fella but slumpy has split and - I'm not sure how to put this politely - oozed :(

The top photos were taken at 36 days and the lower at 40 days. The cheese seeping from Slumpy is actually very tasty... rather Brie-like so I'm not too upset. I'll probably take a sharp knife to this misbehaving chap in the next few days and will, naturally, post pictures.

Any advice gratefully received - mocking comments, abuse and trolls are less welcome :)

Cheers, GD.