Author Topic: Fourme d'Ambert with very poor posture  (Read 10035 times)

graysalchemy

Re: Fourme d'Ambert with very poor posture
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
That is what usually happens to mine. I have taken to moving them to another cave at 5c, seems to be working at the moment.  :)

GlabrousD

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 05:34:47 AM »
That is what usually happens to mine. I have taken to moving them to another cave at 5c, seems to be working at the moment.  :)

Wow I thought I was the only one with deformed Fourme! Thanks very much for letting me know I'm not alone graysalchemy :)

Well Slumpy went under the axe last night... OK, not an axe as such, but a rather sharp knife instead.

The paste was chalky in the centre with almost no trace of blue - I suspect the air-holes blocked up too fast due to the collapsing nature of the cheese. Under the rind was some goo... how on earth I managed slip-skin on a blue cheese with no Geo is beyond me! The runny section tastes fantastic... sort of brie-like. The centre tastes of a very mild blue and is pleasant enough whilst the rind is pretty funky, to be honest!

I've vacuum-wrapped one half and a quarter and put back in the cave to see what happens. The remaining quarter is being eaten apace. I will try this again though if my ongoing Stilton is a success I may start to major on those. So many cheeses and so little time :)

I'll leave Dumpy in the cave a while longer to see how the little chap progresses. Thanks again for any comments or advice.

Cheers, GD.

Tomer1

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
As FD ripens by a complex rind (some PC going on there too) I have found that lowish temp aging is a good idea after the rind is properly formed so you get good even paste softening and reach that heavenly creamy texture.

GlabrousD

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 05:04:14 AM »
Thanks very much for the advice Tomer. I've been away on business for nearly two weeks and am now away for a diving weekend so nothing much is going on in the cave - everything is vacuum packed :(

I'll report on progress and taste next week.

Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
Well I opened a 1/4 of Slumpy (the larger cheese) which I had vacuum packed. It turns out that vacuuming squeezed the living daylights out of it. Still tastes about the same but rather squishier. :(

Cheers, GD.

Tomer1

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
Looks pretty creamy!

Despite my initiall belief, It seems vaccum baging accually "freezes" the paste development of the blue cheese. (you just continue to get stronger flavor\aroma from enzymes previously produced)  it seems that it needs to continue to be aged under aerobic conditions.     
But on a possitive not, an undersalted blue cheese which turn bitter (dou to undersalting I assume as It grew both PC and PR) spent 6 months in vaccum at 6-8c and turned devine once opened. So however hopeless it might taste, bag it!

GlabrousD

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
Thanks very much Tomer. One half of it is bagged and will stay that way until I either get hungry enough or need more cave space :)

I shall report back on further developments. Cheers, GD.