Author Topic: Blog Post - How to make Gruyere/Alpine cheese  (Read 12727 times)

jwalker

Re: Blog Post - How to make Gruyere/Alpine cheese
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
Jwalker, the shermanii isn't for gas production, but rather for flavor and aroma effect.  It's quite muted, when compared to emmental, but most use at least some; and Francois and others reminded me, it's likely very plentiful on alpage forage, so it's there naturally.  Those of us not blessed with high-mountain pasture, well...

Yes , it's not just for gas , I use it just for flavor as well , as I don't put it thru a warm phase for gas production , and I do like the flavor.

Maybe why he didn't include it in the recipe , is that it is naturally present in his milk ?

I've done them with and without , they are different , but both are good , I've also included lipase in some , and come out with something stronger , much like a young Parmesan.

One of the main reasons I like this make is that it produces a nice cheese with store bought P/H milk , which is sometimes all that is available to many of us. :(

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Blog Post - How to make Gruyere/Alpine cheese
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
I guess what I meant is that I think it's a necessary component of gruyere - but it's a very small component.  But that also probably comes with my messing around with Beaufort (really, Abondance) makes - Beaufort is quite low in propionic, compared to Gruyere (and higher in salt level, so, doubly acting against any kind of pronounced propionic character).  And I was once piqued by Francois's comment on the natural propionic in alpine forage.  Alp mentions L'Etivaz, a small area of strict traditionalists I hold a ton of respect for (man - I love their cheese); want to visit and see firsthand what they do.  I'd also love to see a chemical breakdown of their cheeses and forage - to see what they start with in terms of alpine grasses, herbs, flowers.

Anyway, just my thoughts, sounds cool what you're doing.
- Paul