Author Topic: What to do with whey  (Read 5212 times)

Morry Stu

What to do with whey
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »
Just wondering what others do with their whey.

Apart from making ricotta and other cheeses from it and using it for brine, what other uses does it have.

I have read that it can be used as a drink and good for people who do bodybuilding and generally go to the gym.

Flound

Re: What to do with whey
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:48:16 AM »
Use it in cooking as a milk replacement.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:00:05 AM »
I give a little (very little) to my dog who would love to drink it all, but it sure does make her stomach hurt. Mostly I pour it around my plants. In California, most of our water and soil run rather alkaline, so my berries and fruit trees seem to like the drench. I have also heard of using it as a fruit tree spray, but have not tried this.
Susan

LynnB

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
I use my whey in making Cultured Vegetables.  Also could be used in making sourdough bread.
And good in a smoothie.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
I have many uses for it give a bit to my dogs, put it in the plants, make something like a whey brine, put it in a protein shake.

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »
I think Ricotta is the best option (we love mannicotti, and here's a good and simple recipe for the shells if you like to "roll your own").  If you're not like "little miss muffit"and don't like the taste of whey but want the protein I found that mixing it with coconut milk (and cocoa if you want) makes a pretty good drink.   Throw a scoop or two of Ben and Jerry's in there and you raise it to a higher level  :).

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
I will give a lot of whey to hogs, makes good sausages

If I have enough, I am considering to digest my when into methane, along with manure and such, and use the gas to power my vat in the future.

LynnB

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
Great Scott!!!!!.......Sounds like a movie.........Whey......Back to the Future!!!! ;)

Alpkäserei

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
The digester really works on a similar principle to the cheesemking or other fermented food making,

You grind up all of your organic stuff (kind of like Mr. Fusion...)
and suspend it in a solution that uses bacteria to break it down into different compounds. The bacteria eats up all of the carbon molecules (that is, any organic compound) and produces a few byproducts, mainly methane and hydrogen, tiny amounts of other hydrocarbons and other gasses are present too.
The byproduct is a sludge containing the minerals that can be spread on the field as fertilizer.

Some use big digesters as a way to produce electricity or heat water, I would just directly tap the digester and burn the gas strictly for heat.
It's really a very low-tech solution.

Denise

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
Give some to the dog. The cat won't touch it.
Use it in bread-making instead of water or milk. Use it in soups/stews/casseroles instead of stock.
Mix it with lemon juice and a bit of honey or sugar then pour over ice for a zingy, refreshing summer drink.
Pour over the compost heap.
Give to plants that like acid soils, like potatoes and tomatoes.

TimT

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 08:45:15 AM »
This has to be one of the most frequently asked questions on this forum, doesn't it! A perennial problem.

I've heard whey can even be used to clean floors!

It is a delicious drink. The green might make you a bit queasy but, I dunno, maybe imagine it's a radioactive drink that will turn you into a superhero.

It's great in bread (whey bread is *delicious*, google around for the recipe - it involves a bit of butter and sugar in addition to the flour, water, yeast, and salt), is a good starter for lacto-fermentation, and I even keep some to use as flavouring in my beers. (Whey contains lactose, which is a sugar yeast is not able to ferment, so it will sweeten beers and other brews).

I give a lot to the chooks too, and of course pour it in the garden :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:26:38 AM »
If it is not acidic, we also use it to make porridge.

- Jeff

TimT

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »
I've added it to soups and stocks, too, or even just used it to boil pasta in. Well worth it. Haven't thought of using it in porridge but by gar, that's a great suggestion!

WovenMeadows

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
While reading all these great suggestions, I can only think, "Oh, you poor pig-less people!"

jwalker

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »
I give some to my cats , and some to my neighbors chickens , they love it !

Some here have stated that it is good for tomatoes , if that is true , I will be giving mine some this year.