Author Topic: Another 1st Mu(e)nster post?  (Read 6171 times)

JimSteel

Re: Another 1st Mu(e)nster post?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
This is my first real scenario with "undesireables"  usually I just keep washing until they get wiped out.  Some funky stuff is going on in my cave though and this cheese in particular has been having some issues.  I had a whole spread of blue mold on the bottom of the cheese this morning that I lightly scraped off and washed over.  Typically, if the surface stays rather moist, molds don't grow too well, but then you get into the realm of strong linens.  That's why I usually wash both sides every day though.

I just can't maintain my humidity, which would be the preferable option.  Prevention rather than reaction.  What's that called.... Proaction?

With my Limburger, continued washing didn't solve the problem though, a surface mold just took hold and wouldn't give in => skin slip issues.

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 05:02:49 AM »
Curiously, as soon as I finished my daily washing and let my munster sit, it too developed blue mould top and bottom face.  I washed it again this am to remove it, and, since I'm planning on cutting this on the weekend, will probably continue to wash until then anyway.  I often have blue mould issues (just lots of them in the air, etc) so I shouldn't be too surprised.   Will the linens were coming along, it's still early days so they can be grown over. 

- Jeff

JimSteel

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
When disaster strikes!

I left it out in a semi-open container to get some air since the wheel was a bit too moist.  A few hours later, I returned to this.  The cheese wasn't as ripe as I'd like, but I had no other choice but to eat it.

Results, not very good.  A mix of sourness, B. Linens and unpleasant molds.  The paste was pretty tough and "flaky"

So far, none of the washed rinds that involve putting salt on the surface after pressing - instead of brining - have turned out.

This make was plagued by problems all through the process and it really showed in the finale.  I'll just stick with Port Salut.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that I cubed some of it and cooked it into homemade biscuits, which were quite nice.  The cheese is rather sour and smelly, not something I'd eat straight up, but will work for cooking.

I also do not have a picture of the cut cheese since I was out of town when my father and I sampled it. (Yes, I brought it with me)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:34:02 AM by JimSteel »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 02:17:47 AM »
Very strange result Jim but not a total loss if you could still enjoy it.  Seems very strange that the crust hardened up like that.  I did two cheeses with b-Linens (Epoisses and a tallegio) and the crust remained relatively thin and penetrated the cheese, although it was very stinky.  Always wanted to try a Muenster but never quite got around to it.  Your experience is a great help in researching it though.  Thaks a million for sharing. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 02:43:52 AM »
That's a shame, and a bit of a surprise too!  The rind seems to have shattered, like cracking a coconut.  You had mentioned the paste smelt sour early in the thread too, so it appears that hasn't gone away.  I would suggest adding some stirring to the protocol, maybe during the cooking phase?  I don't know, that's just a guess since I can't really see anything that looks like it's missing in your protocol.  A cheese to you for venturing into the unknown though. 

- Jeff

JimSteel

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
Thanks Jeff, and for the suggestions too.  I will not be using them on this cheese however, it is going away for a long time.

The cheese retained too much water for sure, but I think its was probably from improper drying.  My curds actually came out pretty small and tight, but I remember having issues with drainage and drying.

Al: I was definitely surprised to go back downstairs and find the shattering.  I guess my house was a lot drier than I had realized.  Thanks for the input.

jwalker

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
It's kind of funny , I made my third Reblochon yesterday , and have another aging in the cave , yesterday I took it out of the mini-cave because it seemed a little too slimy , anyway , when I saw that picture , I realized I had forgotten to put it away yesterday and ran out to the shop in a panic expecting to find something much the same.

It was fine though , to my relief. :o

So far, none of the washed rinds that involve putting salt on the surface after pressing - instead of brining - have turned out.

And as for the salted rinds , I have taken to brining most of my cheeses now , and am not having problems with drying or cracking.

John@PC

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
I would be inclined to think the "shattering" has to be primarily from the rind drying out due to low %RH.  I learned my lesson when I saw a small crack in my first munster and found my cave had only dropped to 75% for less than a day.  I hope someone else that knows chimes in (and I would defer to Jeff from the make point of view), but maybe the issue is if you wash your rind it (and the paste) retains more moisture, and if you put it in a dryer environment (even if it's for a few hours) the rind can dry quite quickly and shrink.  I went through a period when mine got a little slick, but if you stop washing it should dry up in a few days.

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
I think John's spot on with the cracking explanation.  This is a very moist cheese, so if left in low RH the rind will quickly shrink and crack.  I think, with it retaining so much moisture during the make, that made it even more dramatic.  Work on whey explusion and I think that will cure the sour taste and the cracking rind.

- Jeff