Author Topic: Anyone know the name of this cheese?  (Read 1544 times)

Matthewcraig

Anyone know the name of this cheese?
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »
I was looking through my digital copy of world cheeses when I came across this it looks a lot like emmental but I don't know about the rind or much else, any ideas?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Anyone know the name of this cheese?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »
Too long to post here, but in his book French Cheeses Patrick Rance goes into the cheese in good detail.  1989 hardcover, pp. 155-157.  Basically, a full-fat cheese, mild aroma and taste but very pleasingly soft mouthfeel.  When aged, picks up horizontal slits and a deeper character, "hinting at the richer rewards of longer keeping which have described above."

Elsewhere:

The golden-coated, open-textured cheeses are usually described as semi-hard.  When aged some of them are indeed that, even very hard (and strong, too); but I love best Bethmale in which succulence suggests youthfulness, while richness of savour shows maturity.  Such a happy balance is achieved through a good, unbroken crust and an aerated interior.

Sorry, no recipes for this one!
- Paul

Matthewcraig

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »
Thanks might have a look at that article in full :)

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
You might have a look at this description....

Matthewcraig

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Thankyou hoeklijn that is very helpful from that it looks like it might be a emmental type cheese with a bacterial rind I might have a go soon and see if I can recreate it thanks! :)

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Thankyou hoeklijn that is very helpful from that it looks like it might be a emmental type cheese with a bacterial rind I might have a go soon and see if I can recreate it thanks! :)
Well, I don't think there is any Proprionii involved when I read the description. The holes also don't like as being created by gas, but look like mechanical holes which complies to the description of the pressing....

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »
I wouldn't think emmental, Matthew...as much as a gently pressed semi-soft like a tomme with a higher floc multiplier and a very easy press.  Take a look here, for example, one of Lovetree's sheep's milk cheeses, almost entirely under its own weight....curds are gathered and placed in colander, under whey, then set on a draining table, then flipped.  And I think that's it.  I could be wrong.  But here's the cheese:

Drier than your Bethmale, but I think it's the same thing, mechanical openings, perhaps with some diacetyl strain(s) for butter and CO2?

Edit:  whoops!  Crossed in the mail with hoeklijn.  Agreed, that's what I see, as well.
- Paul

Matthewcraig

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
Thankyou now I think about it you are most probably right I will try soon :)