Author Topic: Arnaud's Abondance No. 1  (Read 6748 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Arnaud's Abondance No. 1
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
Well, thought I might as well post a couple pics.  Cave has settled down, RH, Temp., air flow all good.  I ended up just draping some cheesecloths on the shelves, which seems to have done the trick - temp and RH isn't affected (all monitors at cheeses are great), but airflow is really reduced, feels great, actually.  And cheeses have responded.  Might be hard to make out, but the nice rosy bronze of linens developing on these hard cheeses - that's just a 6 pound "hard alpine" for want of a better word, to the left, and two Abondances (with a more forward, animal, aromatic design to the make - more "Beaufort" like, but Abondance form) next. 

Then, my make table.  I've a pre-press area to the left, a spout built into the thing so all whey empties in a bucket, and my press to the right.  Assorted milk cans, etc.  The usual fun stuff I try to convince my wife is all part of the master plan.

I recently switched out my 20 gallon for a 25 gallon vat.  I find the Abondances range from about 18 1/2 gallons to 25 gallons or so make, and I'm going to go forward with 21 gallons, so this larger vat is perfect.  Ths winter, I hope, we'll be fully in copper. 

Some bumps in the road recently but fighting back and looking forward to continuing these Abondance trials.  Done until January, however, as I can't get raw milk in these quantities till my farmer-friends' youngest comes into milk (3 in milk, when all are producing).  So I'll be making Vacherin Mont D'Or.
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
Nice setup you got there, Paul! Hope you're feeling better.

John@PC

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
Glad to see you back in the make ;)! Glad you've got things under control (and wet towels do good in a pinch!).

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »
Thanks guys, slow and steady wins the race.  (So I've been told...I'm sticking to it till I find something better). 

3x weekly, surfaces get a good rubdown with coarse sea salt, then a good wash with morge.  This drape thing is something I recall P. Dixon did, for much the same reason, recently saw it in his materials.  Not only does the draping break up and slow down the air flow nicely, it retains moisture, too - so with the wood, 60ish pounds of cheese going, knock on wood, reaching a great homeostasis...lot of thermal mass. 
- Paul