Author Topic: How-to : Fix a late-blowing defect (semi hard cheese)  (Read 6325 times)

Spoons

How-to : Fix a late-blowing defect (semi hard cheese)
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:25:31 AM »
I recently had a late-blowing defect on a cheese. It's documented here:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12583.0.html

I decided to post an extra topic in case anyone wants to easily find a solution. So here it is...

If your cheese has a late-blowing defect, but the taste and texture are unaffected, then you're left with a tasty but un-presentable cheese. So instead of hiding the cheese and eating it when no one's around, simply cut the wheel in half, vac-seal both halves separately and age an extra few days. The cheese looks consolidated but will open up again if you force it to open up. So it won't really open up if your guests don't play with their food.  ;)

This cheese is a washed curd Gouda, which are more susceptible to late-blowing. I really don't know if this would work with a hard cheese.

As you can imagine, this was quite a nice surprise. I really didn't expect it to be a presentable cheese when I opened it.

KatKooks

Re: How-to : Fix a late-blowing defect (semi hard cheese)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
Great tip Eric!  Thanks for the info and your cheese looks very good now!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »
The best way to "fix" late blowing is to avoid it in the first place. The clue here is the large horizontal slits, which are not like the round eyes that you see in Swiss. To me that's a dead giveaway for late blowing. This is caused by contamination from a gas producing bacteria, usually a Clostridium. While this is not pathogenic, it obviously causes physical defects and often produces off flavors. Clostridium is a natural soil inhabitant, so the first line of defense is CLEANLINESS. Be sure that your counter top, vat and all utensils are clean and sanitized. Avoid any environmental influences like open doors or windows, dogs in the kitchen, other people "peeking" into the cheese vat, etc. Air movement from fans or HVAC (especially with dirty filters) can blow contaminants into the vat. As mentioned in many other threads, you can use sodium nitrate (saltpeter), but there are also adjunct cultures that will naturally inhibit Clostridium and other contaminants.

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »
Sometimes you can't avoid it, its in the store-bought milk. Especially in winter. Doesn't mean the cheese should be thrown out. When this happened, I did question my sanitation method, but I'm pretty consistent on that part.

I ordered some Holdbac from Danlac yesterday. I'll use it only in winter months and on gouda and see if it ever happens again.

http://www.diaa.asn.au/publications/australian-journal-of-dairy-technology/issues/article/australian-journal-of-dairy-technology/23-adjt-articles/2054-late-blowing-of-swiss-cheese-incidence-of-clostridium-tyrobutyricum-in-manufacturing-milk
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:55:57 PM by Spoons »