Author Topic: First Baby Stilton(esque)  (Read 4994 times)

GlabrousD

First Baby Stilton(esque)
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
So I’ve decided to try my hand at a Stilton(esque) cheese following the recipe by H-K-J. Sadly without the capacity to make a 5 gallon batch I scaled everything down to 8 litres (being a metric kind of chap).

Everything appeared to go well although after the required five days at room temperature the top and bottom of the cheese were rather dry... this also prevented me smoothing the surface.

“Room temperature” here in Dubai is about 26oC (79F) so that might have something to do with the drying out. Once it gets a bit warmer I’ll switch on the air-conditioning but that will dry the air out even further.

The Beast has now been in the cave for a few days and is starting to blue-up nicely... I’ll post more photos later.

Matthewcraig

Re: First Baby Stilton(esque)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
Looks great good luck, and a cheese to you :) :D

GlabrousD

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:15:45 AM »
Thanks very much for my first Cheese Matthew :)

Well it's now at nine days and starting to smell... in a good way. It sat out on the dining table last night as we had our dinner and lured us with bluey odours. Can't wait to try it.

Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
Aaaaargh! I think my Stilton has got black-spot... not good on roses and probably not on cheeses either. Would one of you kind people care to give me a diagnosis and advice please?

Thanks very much in advance. GD.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »
you might try some vinegar on a Que-tip or paper towel and dab the area of the mold  :-\
maybe a mix of salt and vinegar, just dab the infected mold so we don't kill off the blue.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

GlabrousD

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:52:14 AM »
Thanks very much H-K-J I'll give it a shot. Still can't smooth it down as it's too solid/hard/dry... hopefully it'll survive :(

Cheers, GD.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
yea i would agree with HKJ give it a good wipe.

GlabrousD

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:15 AM »
Thanks Matthew,

I've attacked the offending spots with salt & vinegar and I'll keep and eye on them.

On a positive note I'm now managing to smooth the outside... more photos to come.

Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:29 AM »
Well the Stilton has been smoothed and is looking good IMHO but with very little mould or fuzzyness on the surface now. Not sure whether to pierce or not at this stage... it's now a rather boistrous (smelly) 32 day old.

Cheers, GD.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:36:19 AM »
Yes, I think I would pierce that now for sure.  Looking ... well, stiltons never really look good, but you know what I mean when I say "looking good"! :)

- Jeff

GlabrousD

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:30 AM »
Thanks very much Jeff.

I shall duly be attacking it, Ninja style, with sharpened knitting needles or something similar this evening. If you hear loud screams I've either stabbed my hand or the cheese has developed sentience and I've committed fromagicide.

I'll post photos... provided I still have the use of both hands :)

Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
Well the Stilton now has more body piercings than a punk and is in quiet shock in its box in the cave. When I flip it next I'll pierce its bottom.

Doesn't this Cheese Forum allow for some very strange postings that, in polite society, would not be allowed? :)

Cheers, GD.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:43 AM »
looking great you should get some really nice blue veining there!

GlabrousD

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
looking great you should get some really nice blue veining there!

Thanks Matthew I do hope so - I'm a blue-cheese-aholic :)

Cheers, GD.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »
i will admit as well i should probably be going to 'bluholdic' meetings with the amount of blue cheese i consume :)