Author Topic: First Baby Stilton(esque)  (Read 4996 times)

GlabrousD

Re: First Baby Stilton(esque)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 06:39:31 AM »
Now a question for the Jedi Master Blue Cheese Makers out there... I'm away for about 10 days in late April and my FLW has already expressed concern at the "ripeness" of this cheese. Rather than trusting it to her tender ministrations will I be OK vac-packing for about ten days?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers, GD.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »
what i normally do with a blue if i am going away for a week or so is cover it in foil then vac pack it.

GlabrousD

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »
Fantastic thanks Matthew - I'll give it a shot and will report back on my return :)

Is normal aluminium (aluminum for this forum?) foil - BacoFoil or similar OK?

Cheers, GD.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
i only thought there was one type of foil   ;D so yes it should be ok

GlabrousD

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »
i only thought there was one type of foil   ;D so yes it should be ok

Thanks Matthew. Very true but the foil that cheeses normally come in (Fourme for instance) appear very much thinner... still I suppose the thicker (regular) stuff would provide better protection :)

Cheers, GD.

John@PC

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
Hi GD.  It will be interesting to see how the baby blue turns out.  I did the same size (2 gal) a couple of months ago and have been meaning to post pics of that one.

Going back to your first post I was surprised seeing your curd cutter design.  It was surprising be cause it looks almost exactly like one we had designed for round pots but never commercialized it because of our concentration on rectangular pans and cutters.  Was this a purchased cutter, and if so could you share the supplier's name?  I used our "spinner" cutter on several makes last year and remember it was much better than any other technique that I tried for the horizontal cuts (still had to use a knife for the vertical cuts though).   

GlabrousD

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 05:13:32 AM »
Hiya John,

please excuse the delay in replying I've been away on business. The cutter is a blatent plagerisation of one I spotted on line - I think on the forums at Cheesemaking.com. It's a wooden dowel cut to length, marked in cm and with a rigid wire at the bottom to cut the curds. A butchered coat hanger donated the wire :)

It's varnished to protect the wood and actually cuts very well giving nice regular cubes. As you mention the vertical cuts are made in the normal manner. I made a guide/support that sits on top of the pot keeping the axis of the cutter centrally located.

Making this commercially would be difficult I'd imagine as the diameter of the cutter has to match that of the pot being used.

I'll try to post more pictures on my next make. Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
Well I'm back from my business trip and can now finally post the pictures I took before I left.

The stilton has oozed slightly in the vacuum pack but I'll post photos of that next week when I get back from diving this coming weekend.

Cheers, GD.