Author Topic: Disaster - more leaning stilton of eccles woes  (Read 1011 times)

graysalchemy

Disaster - more leaning stilton of eccles woes
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Not posted any of my makes resently. Thought i had at last cracked Stilton. Great make nice firm cheese plenty of blue.............

And then 5 weeks later................

Checked my cheeses in the cheese cave on friday every thing fine RH 85% temp 10.5C looked this morning open the fridge only to be hit by a waft of hot cheesy air.  :( :(

25C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The temp probe had fallen out.

So I have cut them open and tasted them  :) :)

Very nice .........................but not stilton.

My caerphilly's have faired a little better though blue they are beginning to get a natural rind on them.

I started 2 new blues last week though they are not as firm as the others were, so i am not so hopeful. Unfortunately I have promised my dad a cheese for his birthday in June and I promised a group of fellow brewers a stilton and a bottle of 1996 elderberry port. Not hopeful of the cheese front now.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Disaster - more leaning stilton of eccles woes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Oh good, a slot just opened up for this masterpiece here: "Failures I Have Known". ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Geodyne

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:32:26 PM »
That's rotten luck.  :(

The fourth time has to be the charm!

graysalchemy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:11:12 PM »
Sorry not been on for a while. The latest ones have done Ok unfortunately i haven't got to taste them. One went down to a homebrewers meet up (I didn't go  :( ) with an 18 yr old bottle of port, and the other is my dads birthday present for next week. That one is now about 10 weeks old and has kept its shape.

I will post up a picture of it later in the week.