Author Topic: Holding mozz curds to stretch later  (Read 1037 times)

janij

Holding mozz curds to stretch later
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
Hi all,
I have been making cheese for a couple years now.  I have tried the 30 min mozz and just don't like it.  I want to try the reg mozz recipe but I have a question.  Is is possible to hold the curds over night in the fridge once they are at the right acidity and then stretch them the next day?  I saw this show on pizza shops and a guy just used the mozz curd on his pizza instead of stretching it first.  It got me to pondering.  Ideas?

Spoons

Re: Holding mozz curds to stretch later
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Yes it's possible. It's even common practice. You need to put it real quick in the refrigerator though. The cold will slow down the acidification. So as long as the curd mass doesn't reach much lower than 5.3-5.2 in the fridge, you will be ok. I have made mozz many times, and my favorite method was "cheddarring" the curd mass as that part of the process only takes about 30 minutes.

janij

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »
Thank you Spoons!  I will try it.  Can you expand on what you mean by cheddaring it?  I have done the stack and flip em deal, but you said 30 min.  How does this change the make?  Sorry, now you have me more curious.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
I just posted my recipe for Easy Peasy Pizza Cheese...it is a cultured mozzarella that can be stretched for fresh use or just grated/crumbled for cooking purposes.  I drain mine overnight at room temperature, cut the curd into chunks, put in an ice cream pail, and then into the fridge until I am going to stretch it or use/freeze the extras.

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
Thank you Spoons!  I will try it.  Can you expand on what you mean by cheddaring it?  I have done the stack and flip em deal, but you said 30 min.  How does this change the make?  Sorry, now you have me more curious.

Once you drained your curd mass it sill keep on acidifying very slowly at room temperature. At this point, you need to wait until you reach the stretchable sweet spot of about 5.3-5.2PH. There are many ways to get to 5.2. Some quicker than others. The key here is temperature of the curd, the warmer the curd is, the quicker it acidifies.

My 30 minute "cheddaring method" is as follows:
when you drain the curd, drain it in a colander in the pot at about 85F-90F to keep the curds warm. Once drained about 10-15 minutes later, wipe down the pot from traces of whey and put the curd mass on the bottom of the pot. Put the pot at an angle so the curd mass never sits in a pool of whey. Flip the mass after 10 minutes. Cut the mass in 2 and flip and stack for another 10 minutes (always at 85-90F), and so on... You'll reach the 5.2PH sweet spot in no time at all! It happens real quick though, so be careful and have your 170F water ready!

janij

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
MrsKK, I will go check out your recipe!!

Thank you Spoons for the explanation. 

I did make mozzarella on Sat night.  It went really well.  I checked them at about 1 1/2 hrs and they were ready to stretch.  I put them in brine and think it is a little salty, but it made some yummy pizza!!