Author Topic: Mozz....first time and not the last time  (Read 1263 times)

tri3forme

Mozz....first time and not the last time
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »
First time cheese maker here. My 13 yr old son and I made our first round of mozzarella yesterday and man, we had a blast!! There were lots of dairy firsts last weekend: first purchase and consumption of raw milk (Mmmmmmm good) and also a first make of feta Sunday morning (no verdict yet but will let you know). After feta was put in the brine, I had my son lead the way into making our first mozzarella. OMG!! That was soooo fun! We had a blast and we're completely hooked. Did the microwave version and it turned out fantastic. Cheese ended up as a caprise on garlic bread with a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Couple of questions though.....how long will this mozz stay fresh, especially since I used raw milk? I've read everything from 1 day to a week. Does that variance in freshness depend on the process or the milk or the pH or all three? I've wrapped it in plastic wrap and stored it in the regular fridge as I don't have a cheese fridge yet and want to give one of the balls to a friend of mine tonight and don't know what to tell him as far as the expiration date.