Author Topic: how much Thermofilic starter for Mozzarella  (Read 2166 times)

oilbird

how much Thermofilic starter for Mozzarella
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »
Hi every one

I'm new to making cheese. I recently move to Germany and found I can get raw milk easily (as oppose to Canada where is more or less illegal). I always wanted to give it a try and this really made me take the plunge.
 I want  to make fresh mozzarella and feta to start )my wife favorites). I when a head and bought what I think I need, rennet and cultures, both a thermophilic one,  Chr. Hansen Culture ST-M5 Thermophilic Lactic Culture 50U, and a mesophilic one,  a multi species DL culture (this one: http://www.cheesemakingshop.co.uk/Cheese-Making-Cultures.html). I have read many recipes for mozzarela and I think I have a good idea of what to do. I get that one of the most important parts is to get the curd to the proper pH (5.1-5.3) to get the right consistency for stretching.
Here is where I have my first question (i'm sure there would be more).  the package I bought of Thermophilic culture is very big, enough for 500 L of milk. I want to start small, like 2 L of milk, so i don't waste to much in case I fail miserably. Recipes I have seen call for 1/4 or 1/2 a tablespoon of culture for 6 to 12 galons of milk. This one (http://www.culturesforhealth.com/make-traditional-mozzarella-cheese-recipe/) calls for 1/8 of a tablespoon of "bulk thermophilic culture" for 2 gallons. measuring less than 1/8 of a spoon is going to be hard (would need 1/32 of a spoon for 2 liters). so my questions are:
1) how much of the culture i bought would i need for 2 liters of raw milk. 1/32 of a spoon of the culture I bought or 1/250 of what comes on the package?
2)if i need something like 1/32 of a spoon and no precise balance at hand. should I dilute 1/8 or 1/4 of a tablespoon in, lets say, 100 ml of milk and then just add 1/4 or 1/8 of that to my milk? any other way to do this?

thank you for your help and any other advise before I make my first mozzarella are very welcome.

Spoons

Re: how much Thermofilic starter for Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »
Always follow the quantities on the package and not the recipe. 2L is a very tiny batch, but give it a shot! You don't need to be super precise, so you can eye ball 1/16 or 1/32 in a 1/8 tsp.

margaretsmall

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:20:21 AM »
you can also buy metal measuring spoons which go down to 1/64 teaspoon (I think that's the smallest one, called a 'drop').
Margaret

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »
When making small quantities it is a good idea to make a liquid starter the day before so you can get a really accurate measurement.

I always use a liquid starter with Mozzarella, the only time I added directly to the milk I had a fail...

caciocavallo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »
I would start with at least 2 gallons of milk and use the 30 minute mozzarella recipe found on Ricki's site;

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/123.html

Its the option without using the microwave. If you follow this recipe exactly you will be successful. I have used several times and never had 'any problems. All you'll need is citric acid and the rennet no thermo for this is required.

Have fun and if doesn't work out try again and think that its only 2 gallons. 2 weeks ago i made a batch of 200 litres of milk making caciocavallo and it didn't stretch!!!! So don't worry about it too much.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your mozza.

Cheers, Cacio