Author Topic: Cannot make mozzarlla?  (Read 212 times)

Offline kelism

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Cannot make mozzarlla?
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
I'm new to cheese.  I've tried mozzarella twice and both failed. 

I followed the recipe below with 1 gallon of milk, 1.5 tsp citric acid, and rennet. 

Both times I had trouble getting a curd to form.  I ended up straining it in the fridge overnight the first time to try to salvage it and I ended up with something tasteless and somewhat similar in texture to a cream cheese.  The second time I just could not get a firm curd.  It would look like it was setting up OK, but as soon as I touched it you could see that it was not even close to firm.  I ended up giving up and dumping it. 

I used a different milk and more rennet the second time, because I had used the amount indicated on he bottle, which was less than the recipe called for.

I also tried cheddar.  It took about twice as long to get a clean break as it said it should, but other than that, so far it looks OK (well, it started to crack, I'm working on the humidity). 

What is likely the problem?  This is brand new rennet, but could that be the problem?

http://www.cheesemaking.com/howtomakemozzarellacheese.html

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline MrsKK

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 61
  • Default personal text
Re: Cannot make mozzarlla?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:41 PM »
First of all, Welcome!

Secondly, you have chosen two of the toughest cheeses for starting out, so don't beat yourself up over it.

What kind of milk are you using? I'm assuming store bought pasturized/homogenized milk.  Many brands are pretty beat up in the processing, making it tough to get a decent curd set.  One thing you can do to improve your curd is to add calcium chloride to help replace some of the calcium lost in the p/h process.

I teach cheesemaking classes and use the 30-minute mozzarella recipe...sometimes we are able to stretch curd, sometimes not.  I've been making cheese for over six years and it gets discouraging, but that's kind of the nature of the beast.

For home cheesemaking purposes, I'm rather spoiled, as I have my own cow.  Fresh, raw milk is the best for cheesemaking if you have a good, clean, healthy source for it.

There are a lot of people here who use store bought milk to make cheese and I have a lot of respect for them - I don't have a lot of luck with anything store bought other than creamline milk.

Give us some more details of your make (type of milk, the kind of rennet you are using, temperatures, etc.) and you'll get more practical feedback.

Offline kelism

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
I guess I like to just jump into things.

The first milk was store bought, pasteurized, homogenized milk (local brand).  The second try (and the cheddar) was a non-homogenized/creamline local store bought milk.  I found someone at work who I can get milk from.  I'm not entirely sure of all of the details about his milk yet, but he lives on a dairy farm.

I used liquid vegetable rennet from cheeseandyogurtmaking.com. 

I mixed citric acid with water and the milk and heated to 90 F, added rennet.  I cut the curd and heated up to 105 F with the first batch, but that wasn't happening with the second.

Offline MrsKK

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 61
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »
The times I've had trouble with getting mozz to work have always been with p/h milk, but creamline pasturized only usually works.

I guess I would suggest trying calf rennet.  I used veggie rennet for my classes for awhile, in case I had vegetarians take the class, but the results were variable, so I went back to calf rennet when I ran out.  I prefer powdered calf rennet because it doesn't weaken over time the same way liquid does.  I get mine from thecheesemaker.com and have been very happy with it.

I hope someone else chimes in on this, as I don't have much else to suggest.

BTW, I started out making cheddar - I also jump in feet first!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 80
  • By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:35:52 AM »
I'm with MrsKK on the powdered calf rennet, that is what I bought right from the start.
I have had it for 2 years, no problems ever, and when I get something that works that means it ain't broke and you know what they say about that 8)
act as if it were impossible to fail.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Online Spoons

• Sailing The Seas of Cheese
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
I would also agree that creamline milk and choice of rennet are a big factor here.

As for rennet, like MrsKK, I tried the vegetable variety and went back to calf. If you want a rennet suitable for vegetarians, I would suggest you try FPC type rennet as it's supposed to be a superior coagulant.  CHY-MAX M is the leading brand in this type of rennet. This is actually my next "must-try" thing in cheesemaking. But as MrsKK mentionned, liquid form looses potency with time even in ideal refrigerated storage. If I remember well, it looses about 0.5% per month?

http://www.chr-hansen.com/products/product-areas/enzymes/our-products/coagulants/chy-maxr-m.html

They sell it here for home cheesemakers:
http://www.thecheesemaker.com/categories/Ingredients/Rennet/
- Eric