Author Topic: Yeast infection query  (Read 815 times)

TimT

Yeast infection query
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »
Hello again folks.

I'm almost finished making a double Gloucester from the fine recipe provided on this very site. After I had poured off the whey and pressed the curds and basically made a thorough mess of my kitchen, I turned my mind to that delicious scrumpulosity, whey bread - and duly set about creating even more of a mess, if that was possible.

Now I'm kind of wondering.... what are the dangers of yeast infection of cheese? And how can they be minimised? I know it *can* happen.... just not sure how common this is.

My guess is that , if it was a danger, it would have been a danger while the milk was not curdled, or in the process of curdling. I can't quite imagine yeast getting much of a hold in a salted, pressed cheese that's already well on its way to hardening up.

If it does happen, well, whatever. If you're like us and regularly use the kitchen for beer making (true, I did just that yesterday and the day before) and sauerkraut yodelling and lacto-bacilli whispering and performing origami with unbaked loafs of bread, well, occasionally cross-infection is going to happen and off batches are going to occur.

But it would be nice to know what the danger points are for yeast infection - and how people go about preventing them.