Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on a make...  (Read 2547 times)

KatKooks

Looking for suggestions on a make...
« on: April 01, 2014, 02:00:36 AM »
I'm looking for suggestions for my next make. 

I haven't really experienced success yet but I don't want to stop trying to become a better cheesemaker.  So, while things are aging, I want to plan my next make, gather recipes...read up on possible issues...etc.

I want to make a cheese that I am familiar with, that doesn't require a long aging time and I would love a recipe that is pretty much foolproof.  LOL...if that's possible!  I am a lover of hard cheese....welsh cheddars and Irish dubliner...the more crumbly, the better.

But I think these types require a lot of aging.

I have tried tomme, Caerphilly, cheddar, parm, Romano, and Wensleydale.  It was suggested that I try a Gouda....but that's pretty soft for my taste

TIA for your input and I welcome suggestions! 

Spoons

Re: Looking for suggestions on a make...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:19:18 AM »
I would highly recommend doing a Bellavitano. And if you do somehow get your hands on this highly guarded secret cheese recipe, would you kindly share? lol! I'm addicted to that cheese. It's not even funny!

Since you haven't yet tasted your cheeses, I would suggest sticking to Caerphilly for the next few makes. It's got everything you're looking for at the moment; Hard, crumbly and short ripening time (8-12 weeks for a developped taste. 3-6 weeks for a young curd taste). Once you're satisfied with your Caerphilly makes, then jump on a cheese that requires longer aging time.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:34 AM »
Cheshire and double gloucester might be other options.
I've done a Double Gloucester. It did not require a really long aging (about 3 months) and turned out very nicely.
Hispanico is another hard cheese that I've had success with.
The Cheshire I haven't tried but it's on the to-do list.
- Andrew

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »
Hi,

I would go with caerphilly for quick aging as it is a good cheese when young (3 weeks is usually when I cut into it as it has a nice tang at that age, but you can age it up to a year).  There's a Lancashire protocol on the site that is good, and ready in 2 months.  I've had good luck with some Staffordshire makes that I've put together, and they are ready in about 3 months.  I've made Dunlop (a Scottish Cheddar) a few times, and I have cut into it at 6 weeks and it was very nice, and gets better if you age it out.  Butterkase is good, though it can be very mild.  I've made two Cheshire's, though I've only cut into one of them, but it was very nice.  My 2nd I'm aging out until closer to Christmas.  All of these cheeses are one's I've made, and I've posted my notes on the boards here somewhere.  Others have made them too, so you should find lots of details and comments to peruse to give you all the tips and tricks. 

Montasio is supposed to be ok when young, though if you find my makes cut back on the lipase to 1/8th tsp, or even a bit less, as 1/4 tsp is really more for a grating cheese (so you should age it out to a year for that).  I've not tried it as a table cheese, but I intend to one of these times.  Bitto is a neat cheese that I found a protocol of Deejay Debbie's which might be worth a look (especially if you have access to goats milk, if so, leave out the lipase and make 10-20% of the milk goat's milk and the rest cow's milk and that should get you as close as we can get).  Oh, Derby is another decent cheddar type cheese, and there are various protocols on the board for that too. 

Basically, just scan through the boards and read threads.  Look for ones where they post the make details so you can copy those details, then read the thread in case there are any tips or corrections (i.e. I found it was too dry, next time I would do ....) and update your notes. 

Enjoy! :)

- Jeff

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »
Do you have a proper aging area?
If so i would suggest the Edam recipe in The Cheesemakers Manuel.
i make this year round. It is basic enough.
It does not require a natural rind so once air dried you can vac seal or wax. After 3-4 months it is tasty.
i would not say it is dry and crumbly but not soft either.

What type of milk are you using?

KatKooks

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:31:16 AM »
Lol Eric....I've never even heard of bellavitano!  ....but if I find a recipe, it's yours!

I respect the suggestion to stick with Caerphilly and while this is probably the best course of action, I have yet to find a commercial variety so I have some frame of reference for comparison. 

Jeff, I am impressed by your cheese-making experience.  I haven't heard of many of the options you suggested but I will thoroughly research them all...thanks!

Raw.....I'm looking up that Gloucester to see what it's about.

Steff....I have a dedicated wine fridge for my cave and I use cows milk.  I will look at Edam.

Thanks again.....I'm off to research.

Cheers

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
I used the Cotswold recipe from Tim Smith's Making Artisan Cheese. Leave out the chives and onion and it is a Double Gloucester. I also added some salt, which seems to be an oversight in the book.
The recipe is as follows:
 - Heat 7.6L of full cream milk to 32C
 - Stir in 1/4 tsp of direct set mesophilic culture.
 - (I added calcium chloride at this stage)
 - Allow to ripen for 45 min (I left out the annatto asked for in the recipe).
 - Stir in 3/4 tsp liquid rennet in a little water and stir for 1 min.
 - Allow to set for 45 min and check for a clean break. (alternatively, you could use the flocculation method.)
 - Cut the curds to 6mm cubes.
 - Maintain at 32C and stir for 20 min.
 - Heat gradually to 40C over 35 min with frequent stirring to prevent matting.
 - Maintain at 40C for 30 min with continual stirring.
 - rest for 5min.
 - Transfer the curds to a cloth lined colander and drain for several minutes until the whey no longer drains freely.
 - (at this stage I mixed cheese salt into the curds. My make was only 6 litres of milk and I used 2 1/2 tsp of salt, which worked out about right)
 - Transfer the curds to a cloth lined 900g mould/Press at 10 lb for 15 min.
 - turn, re-wrap and press at 30 lb for 10 min.
 - turn, re-wrap and press at 40 lb for 2 hrs.
 - turn, re-wrap and press at 50 lb for 24 hrs.
 - Remove the cheese from the mould and unwrap it. Air dry on a board at room temp. until dry to touch (about 2-5 days)
Wax or allow to to form a natural rind.
 - Ripen for 1-3 months at 13C and 80-85% humidity. Brush frequently to remove mould and turn weekly. (I waxed after 9 days and opened after nearly 3 months.)
- Andrew

KatKooks

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:57 AM »
I would highly recommend doing a Bellavitano. And if you do somehow get your hands on this highly guarded secret cheese recipe, would you kindly share? lol! I'm addicted to that cheese. It's not even funny!

Eric, this rang a bell for me and when I looked it up I realized I absolutely LOVE the Merlot version of this cheese!  I think it's a hybrid of parmesan and cheddar but tagged Bella Vitano by Sartori as their version.  If you ever try to make something like this, puhleese forward me the recipe.  I would probably butcher it but it's be nice to have anyways. ;)

KatKooks

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:35:47 AM »
Thanks Raw,  I have copied that to a file for later trial.  I appreciate your help!

Cheers!