Author Topic: Easy Peasy Pizza Cheese  (Read 5379 times)

Spoons

Re: Easy Peasy Pizza Cheese
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:41 AM »
I may try adding lipase next time, just to see what difference it makes.

I made mozz with lipase twice. The flavor kicks in several days later and only so slightly. On my second lipase make, I vac sealed the mozz to try to preserve it longer and let the lipase do it's job. It didn't make much of a difference.

MrsKK

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
I've noticed the same thing with lipase as well.  I think it truly needs an aged cheese to show its true character.

If you are looking for flavorful cheese that doesn't take a terribly long culturing time, janij, you may want to try Lancashire.  Tasty and creamy texture at 6 weeks, a kickin' cheddar flavor by three months.  But, due to its high moisture content, it needs to be eaten by about three months...or it can be vacuum sealed and stored in a regular fridge to slow it down.  But mine rarely are around long enough to worry about that.

Mozz and Lancashires are my "hold over" cheeses that help me get through the wait for ageing on the others.

janij

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
Thank you both for your input on the lipase.  I guess I will just save it for other longer aged cheeses. 

I will try Lancashires tonight.  I got milk this am, so I have plenty for a batch.  When I first stated making cheese, I tried all different kinds.  Was always trying something new.  I think I got stuck in a rut.  So I will be anxious to see how this turns out.

Oh, we are having the easy pizza cheese today on sourdough pizzas!!