Author Topic: Why is my cheese spoiling so quickly after opening?  (Read 972 times)

Lily

Why is my cheese spoiling so quickly after opening?
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
Hi,  I am very new to making cheese.  Just bought my own cow and decided to give it a try.  I have made several Cheddars and they don't keep after we cut into them.  I aged them 30 days, the first time I waxed and the second time I vacuum sealed.  The first one lasted a little longer but neither kept in the frig for 2 weeks without going bad.  It didn't mold it just smelt horrid.   Is it because they are fresh and I can't expect them to keep any longer? 

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Why is my cheese spoiling so quickly after opening?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »
I'm not going to be much help here, in my opinion cheddar should not do that  (go sour)
I have had Caerphilly cheese in the fridge for over 2 months and not in sealed bags they just keep getting better.
I am thinking to much whey left from not pressing enough of course to big of cut on the curd or not cooking long enough will create the same problems,
and or not enough salt?
share your make notes then maybe some one can help you figure it out.
Now you need someone to chime in who can actually give you some good advice ;)
Hang in there and keep trying, you will get better and more wonderful tasting cheeses will come along. :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Lily

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  The cheese tasted wonderful when I first cut it, just like cheese. haha  I was impressed with myself.   

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
Hi Lily,

Not saying I have the answer here, just a guess, but your cheeses may still be seeping whey. They probably weren't pressed enough or possibly not properly cooked. Also, cheddar should age about 6 months for a mild taste. So 1 month is way whey way  too short a time for proper aging.

JimSteel

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 03:21:15 AM »
Are you using raw milk from your cow?  Should be aging them out at least 60 days to make sure any pathogens get demo'd

Not saying that's related to the bad smell, but something to keep in mind.