Author Topic: Gouda Molds  (Read 6984 times)

Flound

Gouda Molds
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
Okay, I ordered a 500g gouda mold (a Kadova wannabe), thinking a 4L-5L make would work.

The diminutive nature of the mold has me thinking otherwise. I'm guessing a 1L make.

JeffHamm

Re: Gouda Molds
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
That's so cute!  Are you sure it wasn't 50g?   Did you miss a decimal maybe?  I'll be curious to see how much you can pack in though.  You might be surprised. 

- Jeff

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
500 grams is equal to just 1.1 pound of cheese. That is the average yield from about 1 gallon or 3.79 liters of milk.

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
I have a few of those. A batch of 4.4L of milk fits in that model, but you'll have to pile the curds in a cone shape really high on top, and try to squeeze everything in. Tomme molds are easier to work with when trying to cram everything in, but gouda moulds have a real nice finish.

Every time I see a 500g gouda shaped cheese wheel, I see myself slipping a cracker underneath and eating the thing in one bite. lol

Flound

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
Oh man. I'm still chuckling over that...the thought that keeps popping into my head;

Gouda sliders...

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:26:52 AM »
Flound, your post reminds me that the company I retired from actually makes the Kadova molds brand.   I worked with Sonoco Products 38 yrs. but didn't know the relationship until I retired  :(.  One of our PC "cheese board" members (my ex-manager)  is from Madison Wisconsin  and he alerted me of that fact.  I've talked to the Sonoco Plastics product manager here in Hartsville, SC and he offered to send some samples once he heard we started our little business.  Let me know what size Kadova you need and I'll see if I can get one for you so you can upgrade from the "mini-gouda" size.   

By the way, based on your picture of the mold and follower it looks more like small diameter tomme-style mold with rounded corners on the bottom.  If I'm not mistaken (which can always be the case  :P) Kadova's have a smaller draft angle and rounded follower to give more of a "Gouda" shape.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:40:04 AM by John@PC »

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 01:36:23 AM »
That's great news, John! Right now, Kadova moulds are only available from Glengarry I believe. I bought a 1.5-2KG Gouda mould from them last week. If you do get to sell them, you'd be one of the few south of the border that would sell to home cheesemakers.

Flound

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:31:50 AM »
Flound, your post reminds me that the company I retired from actually makes the Kadova molds brand.   I worked with Sonoco Products 38 yrs. but didn't know the relationship until I retired  :(.  One of our PC "cheese board" members (my ex-manager)  is from Madison Wisconsin  and he alerted me of that fact.  I've talked to the Sonoco Plastics product manager here in Hartsville, SC and he offered to send some samples once he heard we started our little business.  Let me know what size Kadova you need and I'll see if I can get one for you so you can upgrade from the "mini-gouda" size.   

By the way, based on your picture of the mold and follower it looks more like small diameter tomme-style mold with rounded corners on the bottom.  If I'm not mistaken (which can always be the case  :P) Kadova's have a smaller draft angle and rounded follower to give more of a "Gouda" shape.

Thanks, John.

I'm looking for a 1kg or a 1.5kg mold, preferably the latter for a 12L make. But a 1kg mold would work in tandem with the behemoth I've already got. ;)

My picture doesn't do the mold justice. It has a noticeablely rounded bottom and the follower is curved, too. I'm just not that gifted a photographer.

Send me a PM with details.

JimSteel

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 03:38:25 AM »
I use a mold of that volume regularly, it's a tomme though.  I have a 4L mold and a "up to 12L?" mold.  I've only filled it 1/3 of the way with 16L of milk.

I've been looking everywhere for a tomme mold that would take 8L/2 gallons, but everything seems to be roughly around the size of the ones I already have.  Really big or really small.

Any thoughts?  especially from the Canadians?

Sorry to hijack your thread.... :P

Spoons

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 04:01:08 AM »
I've been looking everywhere for a tomme mold that would take 8L/2 gallons, but everything seems to be roughly around the size of the ones I already have.  Really big or really small.

Any thoughts?  especially from the Canadians?

What diameter/height are you looking for?
Here are a few examples of 12% yield cheeses from 8L of milk:

CHeese size: 4.5" diameter x 3" height (Picture bellow: Havarti and Jack cheeses)
Found here: http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/45-Hard-Cheese-Mold-Small-1.html

Cheese size: 6" diameter x 2" height Kadova gouda mould (Picture bellow: Gouda)
Found here:  http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/moulds.htm

Cheese size: 6" diameter x 1.75" height
Found here: http://www.perfect-cheese.com/transparent-molds

JimSteel

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
Thanks Spoons.  Those Kadova's don't come cheap.  The measurements on the cheesemaking.com link don't match those you quoted.  Is that the right one?

Spoons

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
The measurements I posted are the measurements of the cheese itself. Not the mould. I posted those in case you wanted to know the thickness of an 8L 12% yield.

So the 4.5" x 5" mould on cheesemaking.com will give you a cheese about 3" high.

Flound

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »
I have a few of those. A batch of 4.4L of milk fits in that model, but you'll have to pile the curds in a cone shape really high on top, and try to squeeze everything in. Tomme molds are easier to work with when trying to cram everything in, but gouda moulds have a real nice finish.

Every time I see a 500g gouda shaped cheese wheel, I see myself slipping a cracker underneath and eating the thing in one bite. lol
Okay, I must be doing something different. I ended up with way too much curd for this mold with a 4L make.

Stuffed in and piled high in a cone that I couldn't press and I still had about a third of the curd left over. Quick transfer to a petit Tomme fixed that and even then it was a tight fit at first.

I think an 8-10 litre make would be good for 3 of these molds. Which means I need two more. ;-)

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
I went back through my correspondence and was reminded that there is a domestic distributor for Kadova molds:  Iverson Inc. in Milwaukee.  I've got a call in to them to discuss using them as a potential vendor.  In the meantime there are some good data sheets on the Kadova's in this link and may be of help / interest for sizing makes to the molds or vice versa. 

Savu

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
Hi everybody first time post for me. I bought one of those #4 gouda moulds but never used it as I wasn't sure how much milk to use, so after reading here decided to experiment with 3 litres of p/h Meadowfresh blue top milk - 3.3% fat. Used Jean Mansfields recipe from her book "How to make cheese" ended up with 372g out of the brine now down to 360g after 3 days. I'll use the full 4 litres next time, it was a bit of squeeze getting  all the curds in but it's not impossible and even with 4 litres shouldn't be a problem, just trying to figure how long to leave it before waxing (vacuum seal?), obviously with something so small can't leave it too long, probably end of the week.