Author Topic: Goda with Garlic.  (Read 1098 times)

jwalker

Goda with Garlic.
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
I cut into a 4 pound Gouda with Garlic , for the second time , I tried it at about 4 months , good but a little acidic and very mild , re-waxed and aged it until yesterday , about 7 months total now , and Fantastic !!!

It always amazes me the changes that occur in some cheeses with just a little more aging.

I used GC's recipe for a washed curd cheese , and added 1/2 cup of our fresh garlic , boiled in about 1/2 cup water , added the garlic water to the milk while heating  , and added the actual garlic to the curds just before molding.

I used 2 gallons of P/H milk mixed with 2 gallons of Raw milk , I get a great curd set with this combination while bringing the price to a more reasonable level , than when just using the more expensive Raw milk.

I think the amounts were right on , the Garlic is very evident , but not over powering , the cheese is an excellent Gouda type crumbly but still sliceable when at room temp , and melts very well for a great grilled cheese sandwich.

All in all , very pleased with this one , The garlic is pretty much undetectable in the photos , pretty hard to see at all really as the color blends in with the color of the cheese , but it's definitely there.

Spoons

Re: Goda with Garlic.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
Flavour-infused wash water! I never thought of that. You sir are a curd washing genious! A cheese for you!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Gouda with Garlic.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Flavour-infused wash water! I never thought of that. You sir are a curd washing genious! A cheese for you!
I thought it was added to the milk as part of the make. ???

Works well with other herbs and seeds as well.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.