Author Topic: Who let the Gouda out?  (Read 3768 times)

Flound

Who let the Gouda out?
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
First gouda, mini batch for testing purposes, .i.e., my new 500g Gouda mold.

Turns out to be a miss on the mold test. Too much curd for the l'il bugger and I didn't want to waste the curd.

Gouda 14/04/06 Gouda 1  4L experiment

4L Farmers whole milk
1.5ml CaCl in 60ml distilled water
2 ice cubes Meso Arom B
1.0ml single strength calf rennet in 60ml distilled water

6:30 left milk to warm to room temp
9:15 temp 20.5C
9:35 added 2 cube Biesa Meso Arom B
9:43 added 1.5ml CaCl, stirred through
9:49 temp 26.8C, waiting for 32.0C
10:00 temp 29.6C
10:07 temp 32.6C, ripen 10-15min
10:22 temp 32.1C, added rennet, stirred up and down 20 secs, started floc timer
10:33 flocc'ed at 10:59 temp 31.5C, cut curd 10:55
10:59 started to cut curd 1cm
11:02 finished cut, temp 32.9C stand for 10min
11:12 removed 1 cup of whey,
11:15 added 80.8C water to bring to 33.6C temp after 1.5cups, 33.6C letting rest for 10min
11:27 removed 1.5L whey, added 55.7C water until 37.0C reached
11:34 reached 37.0C after 750ml, then an add of 250ml
11:37 temp 36.9C, start 10min wait
11:49 temp removed 1.3L whey, added 400ml 55.0C temp 37.8C
11:52 started 30min wait
12:11 temp 36.8C
12:22 transferred curds to mold. Tried gouda mould, but way too small. Used petit Tomme instead, slightly overflowing.
12:37 pressed in pot 15 minutes, kept tipping,  moved to press.

That's a 5.5" Tomme mold and after 20 minutes under 15kg and that's all the curd has compressed.

Spoons

Re: Who let the Gouda out?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:44:17 PM »
I'm having a hard time converting your temperatures and cut sizes in F and in inches... Silly Canadians with their metric system... oh wait, I'm Canadian... When will I ever make the switch?  ::) ??? ::)

Nice make! Just a note though; Aroma B (FD, Probat 222, etc...) as a starter needs more time to develop. There also isn't any stirring during this 30 minute wait? If so, then I would suggest aging this gouda a bit more than usual. But then again, Gouda is eaten at almost any phase of aging.

I've always wondered what differences a type of hot water wash would bring to a cheese. For instance, there are recipes (like this one) that drain and wash multiple times. Other recipes drain only once (1/3 volume) and gradually wash until desired temp is achieved.

Nice Metric Gouda make, Flound! How long do you plan to age it?

Flound

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
My bad on the note taking lapse. I stirred gently, but fairly often. The only time I didn't stir was just after the curd was cut, giving it time to heal.

I figured this one wasn't going to go a great distance. With its small size and my patience, I'm not seeing a marathon.

Flound

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »
Out of the press after a night of. Slapped the l'il guy into a saturated brine bath for a whopping 90 minutes, with a flip at the halfway mark. Weight out of the press; 525g

It's just the cutest little cheese...

Flound

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »
So it appears my l'il Gouda is on its way to being a Munster. It's developing a nice orangish rind.

And my Munster, in a fit of transference, is trying its best to be a Stilton. No orangish rind, but lots of PR.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:14:37 AM »
Nothing you can do about it.  Cheese tends to be fond of cross dressing.

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
I'm having a hard time converting your temperatures and cut sizes in F and in inches... Silly Canadians with their metric system...
Yeah, it so logical that Fahrenheit took a fairy random point that he called zero and his own body temperature (well, about) and called it 100.
And that because of his idea that common people would not understand negative temperatures....
And it is silly to use two states of water that most people know (freezing point and cooking point) and call that zero and 100...  ;D ;D

Flound

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »
Nothing you can do about it.  Cheese tends to be fond of cross dressing.
Lol...

I didn't mean to give the impression I was disappointed or trying to fix it. Not even trying to. I'm just glad I'm going to get a Munster one way or another. Sorry, that'd be a Gmunster...a washed curd lightly pressed Gouda with a unwashed rind and not smear ripened Munster personality. ;-)

It actually makes perfect sense now that I look back.

As I had no b. linens, I was doing the hand wash thing you mentioned for the intended Munster, but clearly the PR from the Stilton migrated over.

However, the l'il Gouda, having dried out enough (or so I thought), I put in a pretty much sealed container to prevent or at least reduce the cross contamination from the blue. Which appears to have providing a perfect 90-95% environment for the linens.

Frankly, I want my first real Gouda to come out of a Gouda mold so this is kinda working out okay.

As for the Munster, I've scrubbed back as much of the Blue that I can see, cutting too small holes where it penetrated a wee bit. And on Friday, I got an actual honest to goodness SR3 linens and have started a wash with that.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:33:56 AM by Flound »

Flound

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
Pictures help.

First is the Munster after scrubbed of PR and washed with SR3 and Geo13 3% brine solution.

The second is the baby Gouda that hasn't been washed, smeared or anything. It's got a bit of PR but the linens, whatever strain, and some Geo seem to be 'winning'.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
Yep, high humidity, and the right surface conditions, and bang, linens!  Washed rind gouda is a nice cheese (esrom I think it's called).

- Jeff

TimT

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:45 AM »
My Colby - about a week and a bit old now - seems to be developing a bit of B linens too. A red blush on one side and a familiar smell. We've had some coldish rainy days and it's been resting on a board that may very well have had last year's Munster's on it.

This is a rather pleasing development so I may very well encourage it along later with a bit of smearing with salt water. Probably recommended anyway as there also seems to be just a hint of mold as well, so if I could encourage the linens and discourage the mold, that would be ace :)

Matthewcraig

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:02:53 AM »
well your Gouda looks delicious, are you planning on ageing it as a Munster or as a Gouda (time wise)

Flound

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
My puddle Gouda is done.

About a week ago, it collapsed in on itself. The linens turned the exterior a nice orangish shade, then about last Wednesday, the sides bulged and the wheel lost about a third of its height. Within three days it had the feel of a hot water bottle.

I actually had to cut a hole in the top and even then, the liquid cheese inside nearly escaped.

Very odd smell and the teeny bit I tasted...blech.

Into the bin.

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
A shame, and strange!  I've never had a gouda turn liquid, though I've had a couple Brie's do that quite impressively.  Those must have been some powerful linens, and perhaps there was some excess moisture retained?  The earlier pic's don't look like it was overly moist though, and I'm talking moist to the point where the cheese is collapsing down right from the start. 

Anyway, others might have some ideas, but it sounds like the wild linens and the moulds turned your gouda into an epoisse (however it might be spelled).

If it's any comfort, I unwrapped and checked my Brie today and it's covered in wild blue moulds.  I feared as much as blue moulds were getting at it around the time I wrapped it and we were off on a holiday, so I couldn't tend to it.  However, it may still be ok under the rind.  Will see.

- Jeff