Author Topic: Cut into my five month old Gouda  (Read 2255 times)

Digitalsmgital

Cut into my five month old Gouda
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:22 AM »
After my goat milk Gouda success, I made a P&H cow's milk Gouda using LB's recipe on Tuesday Nov 12th  2013, 148 days ago.

It was waxed a second time about two months ago, but I could smell an off-odor in the "cave" and indeed a wetness began to manifest itself underneath the waxed surface on flip days this week so it got opened and cut into this afternoon after work.

A small two-inch round spot was going bad on the bottom of the wheel (it can be partly seen in the photo) which was cut out and tossed into the bin, but the rest of the wheel will get bagged and eaten in the next few weeks.

Flavor is quite good! But the texture is not at all what I had been hoping for...much too crumbly, falling apart in the center, moisture content in the paste just right, but not the texture of a young Gouda. At least the salt content and flavor of the milk is pleasant!

Spoons

Re: Cut into my five month old Gouda
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:23:20 AM »
A cheese for you sir for a fine lookin gouda! The crumbly part may be due to over acidification? you only need to press a gouda for about 4-6 hours. On my last gouda, I checked mine after 4.5 hours of pressing and it was already borderline over acidified. Or maybe you cooked it at 102-103F? If you want a moister cheese cook between 98-100F.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
Another cheese to you !

I'd agree with Spoons , since I've started pressing less and with a little less weight , my Goudas are getting better , especially the P/H versions.

Seems to me with P/H milk , I always get really small curds that tend to expel a lot of whey when cooking/washing.

They always taste good though.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »
My notes say I pressed overnight at 5.5 PSI a total on 6 hours, so you are probably right Spoons, but wouldn't over-acidified be apparent in the flavor too?

Thanks for the cheeses!

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
wouldn't over-acidified be apparent in the flavor too?

Flavour usually isn't affected by over pressing a bit. It usually affects just the texture.

An acidic taste is usually due to too much whey remaining in the cheese (insufficient pressing and such). Thats why your gouda was quite good goud ;)

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:52:51 AM »
this has been my best cheese yet, even better than the goat's milk gouda. I am officially hooked on making my own cheese. The flavors and textures of this cheese continue to improve and impress.

Right now I am on the brink of a cheese avalanche, on account of poor planning. An eleven-week caerphilly, a five month gouda, and a six-week Port salut are planning the perfect storm as they reach maturity and outflank my defenses. A cheesy blitzkrieg, if you will.

I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »
Nice! That's what I like about gouda, you can eat it anywhere between 3 months and 4 years. It just keeps on developing.

A cheese for you for your success! :)