Author Topic: Blue Clues  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Blue Clues
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »
So I thought I'd give an update on my precious blues. I've got 2 5 pounders and 1 15 pound stilton that are doing great and 1 8 pound blue. I think I got real lucky with this forced air freezer I got off craigslist a few months ago. No mold build up on the surface what so ever. Doesn't smell moldy keeps humidity even with a drain to the outside from the coil drain and my humidifier only needs refilling every 3 weeks or so. My wine cellar cave needs to be refilled every 3 days!

The two smaller stiltons are piercec and should be ready within 3-4 months. Yes I can wait for maturing cheeses as opposed to someone other people here..ahhhhemmm(clearing of throat) Dave  ;D

I won't be making cheddar anymore...too much work wax and weap it sucks. I will only be making blue types and parm. If I ever get around to finishing the other cave that pissed me off to work at the right humidities I'll make Camembert.

wharris

Re: Blue Clues
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
I will say that my Parm, is by far the most popular.  It smells good and the neighbors are all lining up for some.  I have 25lbs aging now.

I want to cycle back to cheddar and do it right.  It will bug me unless I can learn to create a consistantly good cheddar.

One other thing I am thinking of doing is bandaging them instead of wax.  I may wax them a year from now after aging.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »
I tried that and failed, If I can figure out how to bandage and smear I would definately do that too as it seems all my cheddars want to weep.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
So Carter, some pics of your blue's would be good.  Cheese that is.  ;)

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:07:45 PM »
Ahhhhh Carter....
Just when I thought we were ready to start picking out china patterns together, I now see that we are growing apart.
You are moving towards blues and parm and I've decided to focus most of my energy on swiss and cheddar.
Oh well, I knew it was too good to last.  ;D

Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »
Oh, and Carter....
Glad to see you found out that the "internet mute" thing really didn't work for you.
Even though you give me hell for not having patience (true enough), you were missed.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »
Thanks Dave. I've been in the shop till the wee hours lately building my new CNC.