Author Topic: Star San  (Read 2517 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Star San
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »
I finally picked up some Star San. Previously I had just been boiling my equipment for 5 to 10 mins, in the pan I was using for my makes. So for the Star San is it best practice to spray or rub or soak? And does it need rinsing off? Since it needs to be diluted .5 ounce to 1 gallon of water, how about I put that dilution in the pan and soak all my utensils and then swirl it around in the pan. The store where I bought it stuff said no rinsing needed, but that seems rather yucky.
Susan
Susan

Spoons

Re: Star San
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:00:38 AM »
You'll love Star San! it's just so easy!

What I do is ad about 16L (a little over 4 gallons) of room temp tap water in my 6" full pan and then ad 1oz of Star San, The dilution on the bottle says 1oz per 5 gallons, so its good enough. I then mix it well until bubbles start forming. then I just throw everything in for 60 seconds. No swirling, washing or scrubbing needed. Just make sure verything is well submerged with no trapped air in the water. Then I take everything out of the water and put it on my dish drying rack without rinsing. DO NOT RINSE as the self-drying is part of the process (or so I've read). I then tilt the pan enough for the water to reach the brim on each side for 30 seconds to complete the sanitizing process.

I do this on the eve of making a cheese. That way, everything will be thoroughly dried by morning.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
Exactly the description I was looking for, thank you so much!
Susan

cowboycheese

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »
I have a white food safe 5gal bucket that I mix about gallon or two of Star San and hot water in. I put all my utensils in it before and during my make (after a quick rinse first). I dip everything in it including my hands. Very convenient. Make sure the surfaces you want sanitized have been covered in it for at least a minute or more.

I also have a spray bottle with the mix in it too for spraying stuff too big for the bucket (1/4 tea per bottle). Everything gets soaked, sprayed or wiped including my hands. If you prefer, you can let your equipment drip dry, shake it a bit or wipe it with a clean paper towel before using it but if you rinse with tap water, you can potentially re-infect what you just cleaned because tap or especially well water can still carry nasties. The acids in Star San are food safe in the diluted strengths. In fact, if you are a pop drinker you might have just had some in one of your beverages.

I also use it for my hard cider makes - great stuff indeed.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
Do you happen to know if it is okay if it gets on granite counters?
Susan

Offline Spike

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Time to turn the cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
Do you happen to know if it is okay if it gets on granite counters?

Not sure I want to here the answer to this question. I homebrew, and splash a lot of starsan around the kitchen counters while I am sanitising various pieces of equipment. Currently have tile, but my wife would like granite counter tops. I have been telling her it is too risky due to my brewing antics.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
I love Star San as well. 

The only thing I would caution is to go with the dilution rate recommended by Star San.  That is what allows you to have a "no residue" effect of adequate sanitization with no residual taste effects (Star San is better in this respect than straight Iodophor or bleach, in my opinion).  Especially when the pH creeps above 3, which is the recommended threshold for a depleted solution and indication you need to change out, the temptation is to just "add some Star San" so you ensure you're sanitizing surfaces - "if a little bit is good, more is really good."  The only problem is, you end up with residual chemical in your food. 
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »
If properly diluted, Star San shouldn't be a problem. I sometimes sanitize my kitchen and bathroom with it with a spray bottle. I havent had any damaged surfaces because of it yet. Having said that, I don't have a granite counter top. It's always a good practice to test it first on an inconspicuous area though.

In its undiluted form, I would say it may be risky, even if it's only a drop dripping along the side of the bottle from the spout.

Morry Stu

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:43 AM »
Star San and granite DO NOT play well.

Undiluted is a big no no on granite as it will almost instantly stain.