Author Topic: My Caerphilly Number 3  (Read 3115 times)

Rizzo

My Caerphilly Number 3
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »
Owing to the success, and subsequent consumption of my first 2 Caerphillys, I made number 3.
Recipe from 200 easy cheeses, with 2 exceptions.
1) A Floc multiplier of 4. This gave a 60 min total set time, as opposed to a recommended 45 mins in the book.
2) A lighter pressing than before. I pressed the first 2 at around;
10 kg, 30mins,
redress, 10kg 30 mins,
28 kg overnight, then into the brine.

I have felt (rightly or wrongly) that maybe the pressing was a little too much to allow the brine to be fully absorbed. I have little knowledge of brining.

This time around (after reading Ian Truer, and The greening of Gavin, etc, googled), I went with

5kg, 30 mins
redress, 5kg 30 mins
12 kg overnight (plus a bit).
The cheese is now out of the brine and is air drying.

I may have done things a little better this time around, my first 2 cheeses weighed 900g and 920, this one weighs in at 1145g, and the cheese is physically bigger than the previous two, presumably because of the lighter pressing.

pics below;

not sure why 2 of the pics have come out on their sides....captions should read,

1) curds resting bang on 35 degrees
2) under 12 kg pressure (I am so pleased with my new homemade press)
3) weigh in
4) and into the brine (18%).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:28:32 AM by Rizzo »

JeffHamm

Re: My Caerphilly Number 3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »
Looks good Rizzo!  The brine will get in regardless of the pressing.  Have you weighed the cheeses on the day you cut them?  Your smaller cheeses may not have lost much weight as they aged because the weight loss is moisture loss.  This one may lose moisture at a faster rate, making the difference at cut time much less than when fresh out of the press. 

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear your report on the paste, comparing this make with the other two.  Will be informative for many, I'm sure.

- Jeff

Rizzo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
I will try to wait 4 and a half weeks, Jeff. Full report will then follow, or, you could swing by for the cut ! cheers

Rizzo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:35:18 PM »
This cheese has taken 1 week to air dry sufficiently to be placed in the cave.  (the other two took approx. 3 days).  I'm not sure if this is a result of the lower pressing forces, or the extremely low temperatures we've been experiencing these last few days.  I'm thinking/hoping its the latter.  Anyway its in the cave now and looking good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:28:27 AM »
Hi Rizzo,

I suspect the humidity from the rain is also playing a part.  It's winter, and the air drying is more of an opinion than a command these days! :)

- Jeff

Rizzo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
thanks Jeff.  Encouraging words. Btw, I made a Double Gloucester yesterday, I will be writing it up later.

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »
I look forward to hearing how that went.  I keep meaning to make a Double Gloucester but haven't yet.  My cave is currently full.  I want to try another Muenster next as I have a few cheddar types aging out.  I also, at some point, want to try an aged Jack, with a coco and coffee rind.  Hmmm, there are a lot of things I want to try, and will get to them in time.

- Jeff

Rizzo

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »
Hi Jeff, Link to my new post here...
No cheddaring in this recipe.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12779.0.html

Rizzo

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »
Opened today after just four weeks. Good texture, good taste, I'm very pleased  ...for some reason the pix will not upload. I'll try tomorrow
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:00:10 PM by Rizzo »

Rizzo

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 04:19:58 AM »
picture, you can see the results of a light pressing, but moistness and texture is good.

GlabrousD

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
Good looking Caerphilly, Rizzo. A Cheese to you.

Cheers, GD.

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
Yes, that does look good.  A cheese to you.

Rizzo

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I am enjoying this one...tasty :)