Author Topic: Caerphilly Clone - an attempt to copy Jeff's success  (Read 8283 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Caerphilly Clone - an attempt to copy Jeff's success
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
Looks very nice G-D ^-^
must control the urge to eat it all :)
one thing about eatin the cheese is, more room in the cave ;D
A cheese to you O0
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
Very nice looking caerphilly!  And, glad to hear the taste meets your expectations.  Looking through my notes I see I've made caerphilly following 4 different protocols (the 200 Easy Homemade one, Peter Dixon's, Tim Smith's, and one I found in a 1907 newspaper, which I call traditional).  All of them produce very similar results and make for a very nice young cheese.  Looks like you aged it around a month, which is perfect for caerphilly.  I tried to give you a cheese, but I just gave one so I have to wait an hour.  Will try and remember to pop back and do that later.  Well done.

-Jeff

I remembered to give you a cheese!  Wow!  Memory.  I forget the last time I had that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:36:06 PM by JeffHamm »

GlabrousD

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 05:01:24 AM »
Thanks very much for the cheeses and the kind comments Gentlemen. I'm so stoked sbout this cheese that I'll be making another this afternoon provided I can skive off work early enough :)

I will, naturally, post about my efforts and the results. The problem is that I also want to try a Romano for long-term ageing, another Blue Gouda (although I haven't opened the first yet), another Stilton (ditto), another Chaource, some Brie... I could go on but I think you get the picture :)

Cheers, GD.

Geodyne

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »
It's the marvelous thing about this obsession, er, hobby. One great cheese leads to another! And another, and...a larger cave.

GlabrousD

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 05:37:19 AM »
I prefer to think of it as a mania rather than an obsession... at least that's what the FLW tells me it is :)

I now routinely cruise around gadget shops looking at large fridges instead of laptops or cameras - very unhealthy.

Cheers, GD.

PS. I made another Caerphilly yesterday - I'll post updates in a separate thread.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:53:50 AM by GlabrousD »

Rizzo

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 01:55:16 AM »
Your cheese looks great. If I knew how to award cheeses, I would do so..I have made 2 Caerphillys to the 200 Easy Cheese recipes. Both turned out great which was very rewarding as a novice cheese-maker. If you can age them out to 4-5 weeks, I find the taste is so much better.

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 03:43:20 AM »
Hi Rizzo,

Giving a cheese is easy peasy and is done by clicking the "thumbs up" just under the person's avatar picture that's next to the post you like.  So, for this thread, you might to one of the posts where there are the photo's of the cheese, and click the thumbs up for that post.  Each "thumbs up" a person gets increases their cheese tally by one.

- Jeff

Rizzo

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 04:01:53 AM »
thanks for that Jeff.  I will do it now!

GlabrousD

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
Thanks very much Rizzo and Jeff. I've cut the cheese into disks and am going to age each one slightly longer... that's if I can resist eating them :)

Second Caerphilly now in the cave... a new thread to follow once work backs down a bit :(

Cheers, GD.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 01:23:27 AM »
I've added a cheese as well. How long did you brine yours? I am trying to decide whether I would like to make the next one a bit less salty ... sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. Of course, in the process of deciding, pieces of the cheese keep disappearing ... :)
-- Andy

GlabrousD

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
Thanks very much Awakephd :)

Brined for 24 hours in a concentrated whey brine flipping halfway through. Caerphilly is supposed to be salty... something about Welsh miners needing to replenish the salt lost whilst working underground... although that may be an urban myth.

Where in North Carolina are you... I used to work at Chapel Hill and love the whole area?

Cheers, GD.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
I live about an hour from Chapel Hill, about halfway between Raleigh and Fayetteville. I work at Campbell University.

-- Andy

Rizzo

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
I have brined all my Caerphilly's in accordance with the recipe in 200 Easy Cheeses; i.e. 20 hours in an 18% solution, turning once after 10 hours.  The cheeses do not taste particularly salty, just seem about right.

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
Yes, caerphilly is a bit on the salty side.  If you salt the curds before pressing, and then salt the outside as you flip and redress, it probably overdoes it.  I now tend to salt the curds (2 - 2.5 tbls for an 11 Litre make) and rarely do the salting during the pressing.  If you want to salt during the press, reduce the salt in the curds to 1.5-2 tbls.  As with most things subjective, you may have to tweak the amounts to narrow in on what you like.  Other people's notes and protocols provide you with a starting point, not a destination.

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:11 AM »
Other people's notes and protocols provide you with a starting point, not a destination.
I love this  :)
If you are a home cheese maker, make it the way you want and to your liking O0
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/