Author Topic: fridge/freezer cave  (Read 4066 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
fridge/freezer cave
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
Many small refrigerators have 2 doors, one for the frig below, and one for small freezer above. I have no idea how the compressor works to separately chill and maintain 2 areas with different temperatures. But would it all be able to be kept at the same temp with an external thermostat control.  I am just wondering if that could work for blues in one, and non-blues in the other? Probably dreaming here....
Susan

WovenMeadows

Re: fridge/freezer cave
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
I was using a standard fridge/freezer combo for a while. The thermostat was placed in the (larger) fridge part. The freezer portion temperatures could fluctuate widely though, from near freezing (after the compressor ran) to probably close the the fridge temp, 50-55 degrees. But I didn't really have much in there. With more mass, perhaps the temps would even out more, on the cooler side. Would just have to see!

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
You will quickly burn out your compressor. Every time the fridge section turns on the freezer wants to freeze. I have purchased a small fridge without a freezer. About $99, with an external thermometer you can control it well.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
You can also try one of these.  I'm sure there are other brands but a small freezer works fine with a external temperature controller.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
But would it all be able to be kept at the same temp with an external thermostat control.

Simple answer is no , the freezer section will always want to freeze (or at least be a lot colder) whenever the compressor is operating , as that is where the cooling coils are.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
I would always opt for a freezerless fridge instead of a freezer by itself , unless you already have one. That compressor will never like the on and off with out freezing. It will wear out faster.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: fridge/freezer cave - additional question
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »
Could an external thermostat controller also be used to control the temperature of the water heating in a food warmer while doing a make? In other words, just remove it from the cave, leaving the door shut, and use the controller for the food warmer, then put it back after....
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
That would depend on the range of the thermostat.  Usually these are made for lower temps.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

John@PC

Re: fridge/freezer cave - additional question
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
Could an external thermostat controller also be used to control the temperature of the water heating in a food warmer while doing a make? In other words, just remove it from the cave, leaving the door shut, and use the controller for the food warmer, then put it back after....
Susan, I know after you posted this you got one of our controllers.  Did you use it with the fridge (for cooling) and the Avantco (for heating) successfully?

jwalker

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
Many small refrigerators have 2 doors, one for the frig below, and one for small freezer above. I have no idea how the compressor works to separately chill and maintain 2 areas with different temperatures. But would it all be able to be kept at the same temp with an external thermostat control.  I am just wondering if that could work for blues in one, and non-blues in the other? Probably dreaming here....

Thermoelectric coolers such as these are a good choice for the hobby cheese maker , no compressor or refrigerant , just a thermoelectric cooling module and a small circulating fan , runs on 12 V but comes with AC adaptor.

Nothing to wear out but the fan , and they are easy to replace , being fairly affordable , one could buy two and have set at different temps for different cheeses.

http://www.my12voltstore.com/Coleman_PowerChill_40_Quart_Thermoelectric_Cooler_p/3000001497.htm

Or if you want to see more go to the main page , there are many models available , our fridge in our trailer is a thermoelectric type , and it has been running steady for 18 years now , we bought the trailer new in 96.

http://www.my12voltstore.com/12_Volt_Refrigerators_s/85.htm

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
Just to bring this up to date, I did buy a small freezer (less than 6 cubic feet) and am controlling the temperature with the Perfect Cheese controller.
When I make a cheese, I take the controller off the freezer, leaving the freezer unplugged but closed during the make.
Then I use the same controller for heating the milk with my Avantco food warmer. So far this has worked well!
Susan