Author Topic: Fastest growing PR ?  (Read 1215 times)

jwalker

Fastest growing PR ?
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
My blues of late seem to be taking quite a while to develop the proper mold on them , I know some strains are faster growing than others , can anyone tell me which is the fastest and where I can order some ?

The ones I've been getting from my current supplier seem to be too slow.

I've found that if it takes too long for the PR to develop , it leaves the cheese open to innoculation of wild molds , I had to throw my last blue out because it got infected by a wild blue mold and smelled like an old musty basement floor , I imagine it would have tasted that way too if I had the courage to try some. :o

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Fastest growing PR ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
I've used both the PA and PV strains and had quick development of blue, 5 days max.  Maybe it's the brand you're buying.  Here's the one I use.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:06:39 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »
I've had good results with a strain I bought from Yoav (Iratherfly) before he had www.artisangeek.com running.  He doesn't list it on his site, but may still carry it.  I believe it was an Abiasa version - I have the milder one of the two he had.  Drop him a line.  Good luck.

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
Thanks for the info guys , I'll definitely check it out.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:05 AM »
Are your cultures getting old, or are you talking newly-opened packs as well? I've read PR has some of the shortest shelf life among cultures, and this matched my very limited experience with it. Had my first couple batches turn out pretty good, then went quickly downhill after that.

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:40 AM »
I just opened a new packet I recieved last week , made a blue on the 16th , still no blue showing , it smells very blue tho.

I'll check it again tomorrow , but I have seen some on these pages that have results in 3 days or so , maybe I'm just too impatient. ::)