Author Topic: another shot at white mold cheese  (Read 4065 times)

HOPOIL

another shot at white mold cheese
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
After a bit of a hiatus, I got back into making, instead of just eating, cheese.  I've had a couple successful Emmantal makes, and since I've found a new, less-expensive, creamline milk to use, thought I'd try a bloomy-rind.  Using G.Caldwell as a guide, I made a 3 gal batch into two brie cheeses.
Used Meso Aroma B, P. Candidum, couple flakes of Geo-15, and a smidge of Thermo B.
I liked this recipe/style as it has less stirring and cooking; different draining/pressing requirements too.
Now have a wine cooler to use as temperature and humidity controlled space.
I'll take pictures as the white develops.

Matthewcraig

Re: another shot at white mold cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
Looks beautiful, how long are you planning on aging it for?

HOPOIL

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I'm hoping the mold develops well in the next 10 - 14 days.  Perhaps I cut one of the two open after 4 weeks.

The recipe was called: washed-curd, stabilized-paste, bloomy-rind by G.Caldwell
I removed 1 gal of whey at 30 minutes after cutting the curd and replaced it with 1 gal of 95-degree water.  stirred slowly for about 10 minutes more, then scooped it all out and into two 8" by 3" molds.

So far, the cooler/cave is at 57 degrees and 90% RH - so I'll be watching for white, fuzzy to begin.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
Well good luck and if you can post a few pics please do I would be interested to see how it goes :)

HOPOIL

day 5
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
Starting to see patches of white mold growth.  fingers still crossed.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
Looks good really like the shape what size hoop did you use?

HOPOIL

Brie doing well
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:11:47 PM »
Day 12 for the pair. Seems like a nice even, white coat.  Very encouraged.
Perfect time for disaster to set-in, right? My used, Emerson, Wine-cooler/cheese cave quit two days ago! Of course, three cheeses in there.
So I bought myself a bigger, (hopefully) better, new Visanni wine cooler.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
So I bought myself a bigger, (hopefully) better, new Visanni wine cooler.
You suck :P

Your cheeses look perfect from here, very nice, as soon as I get some hoop's I am going to try this type of cheese :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Matthewcraig

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »
great looking cooler if you don’t mind me asking around how much was it?

HOPOIL

Re: the Visanni cooler
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
my jury is still out on the over-all worth of this Visanni cooler.
 At $250 I should be damn-happy with it, but I'm not happy that the warmest temperature (cooler set on 1) is 53 degrees.  There are 6 settings colder than that, for crying out loud!  It is much harder to keep a high RH in there, too.
Maybe it will work better if it is fuller - only making brie once a week, though.
Brie number 2 after 8 days:

HOPOIL

Re:Visanni cooler - uh oh!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
The Vissani cooler went back to Home Depot, and they gave me the refund promptly.

I was almost happy with it giving me 53-degrees as the best warm temperature.  I was even toying with the notion of getting a Johnson Control temperature controller to get it better.
But last Thursday I came home from work to find 43-degrees inside. After turning it off and allowing the temperature to climb back up to the mid-50's, same thing Friday morning, and Saturday, too.  So.  Back she went.

Guess I fall in with about half the other people who reviewed that unit - it ain't worth $250 and it doesn't work as advertised.

Now what? not sure.
Three of the brie had aged enough (I guess) to be wrapped and put in my real refrigerator. The fourth one is coasting along, down cellar. It does have a good coat of white, P.candidum, so all in all, I guess I'll survive.

I'll keep looking for other cooler options.

HOPOIL

Tasting success!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Today, I took brie #2 into work to share with the co-workers.  It was well received by them and made me very happy as well.  The rind was solid white, firm layer and the paste was equally as good as anything I've purchased from Wegmans (our best grocery chain).
Cut out a good sized wedge, split it down the middle and laid it open - rind side down.  A few crumbles of walnuts and a drizzle of apple-cider-molasses topped it off.  Minute or two under the broiler for a little melt, voila!  Also I like brie#1 and #2 without the toppings or heat.

I like that the waiting period is only 4 weeks or so with brie.

Now, to get the cheese cave working again...