Author Topic: Caerphilly, the good, the bad, and the not so pretty...  (Read 2411 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Caerphilly, the good, the bad, and the not so pretty...
« on: April 26, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »
 Caerphilly #12    4-25-14
This was my first larger make using my new Avantco food warmer and a 6 inch deep full size pan! It is definitely more awkward with this big pan for draining, and cleaning. I made a huge mess trying to use a syphon to drain the whey. But cutting, stirring and cheddaring were great.  This was also the first make trying Star san for sanitizing since my usual boiling for 10 minutes would not work with this set up. One lesson learned so far is to make sure and do the sterilizing the night ahead so things have a while to dry. Using the Avantco without a separate temp control meant that I was nervous to not overshoot. I actually was too nervous and did not bring the milk to temp fast enough in cooking.  On the other hand, the heating was pretty even, and I did not feel like there were hot spots developing. The temperature differential was about 2 degrees from the edge of the pot to the interior if I did not stir for a while.  Also this was the first time using Yoav’s small draining bag/cheesecloth substitute. I really liked that!
The make itself did not go as planned, mostly due to run-away pH. I let the milk ripen longer than usual waiting for 6.5 pH. But then it was lower than wanted at draining, and too low terminal pH. So next time a little less culture, and a shorter ripening, and I will hold off putting starter in until at ripening temp.
4 gallons non-homogenized pasteurized whole milk 6.6  pH
1/2 tsp MA4001
1 tsp calcium chloride in ¼ cup water
3.0 ml single strength calf rennet in ¼ cup water
4 T salt
 Flocculation multiplier  3.5
pH targets:  6.5 rennet,   6.4 drain,  5.6 milling, 5.3 terminal
Target ripening 86 degrees, target cook 92 degrees

11:45 Started heating with warmer on number 2 setting (range of 1 – 6). Played with setting number 4 as well, watching temp closely.
12:55 Temp = 82, starter in (as recommended in Caldwell)  and continued bringing up to ripening temp
1:15 Temp at 86 degrees, ripening at temp 60 mins (instead of 45)
2:20  Measured pH at 6.5, T=86. Calcium chloride stirred in
2;26 Stirred in rennet.    Flocc time of 12 mins (3.5 x 12 = about 40 mins)
3:05 Nice clean break.  Curd cut to about 1/2 inch, resting 10 mins. Temp now 84. Heat on number 1.
3:15 Gently lifting to break larger pieces which were not adequately cut. Temp = 84, slowly stirred while returning to target 86 degrees, for about 30 mins. I kept messing with the temp dial….
3:50 Now at 86, with pH of 6.4…. Began heating with goal of target temp 92 degrees in 15 mins.
4:17 Temp = 91, pH 6.3…. uh-oh….
4:30 Curd feeling kind of soft and not ready, but draining anyway due to pH at 6.3
4:45 Returned curd mass to pan and cut into 1 inch slices, turned, rested 10 mins and repeated several more times, pouring off whey as it collected each time, waiting for proper pH.
5:45 Whey pH 5.6, curd was milled, and 2 Tblsp salt added.  Rested 10 mins and second 2 Tblsp of salt added.
6:00 Into hoop in pot to be kept warmer than room with 10 # on top
6:15 Hoop put into press, with about 18 #
6:40 Poor knit. Back into press about 27#
7:10 Better knitting, salted rind and redressed, and into press about 45 # whey pH at 5.4
8:00  Redressed and back into press with 80 #.   Still a bit open in knit, whey coming off at 5.2 pH
9:00 Redressed and salted and back into press with 115 #. Still was a bit more open than I wanted and the pH was too low at 5.0.
10:00 Taken out of press. Weighing in at 3# 15 oz. Whey pH 5.0. Into cave in box.
Susan

Spoons

Re: Caerphilly, the good, the bad, and the not so pretty...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
I recently made the switch from 8L to 16L myself. As you mentionned, one of the things I noticed from the switch is how the cultures act differently.

For instance, in an 8L gouda make, I would ad 1/8 tsp MM100 and 1/8 Aroma B. I was used to the whole process up to even predicting about 4.5 hours of pressing before reaching target PH.

In the 16L gouda make, I figured that I would just double every quantity (1/4 tsp MM100 and 1/4 tsp Aroma B) and the make would be not different... WRONG! I would reach pressing PH target at 3.25 hours. It's just acidifying so much more faster!  I have since reduced to 1/4 MM and 1/8 Aroma.

Same thing with the rennet. I'm only starting to get into the 12-15 minute floc range since I made the change.

There are certainly some adjustments to make when jumping to a bigger or smaller batch. In the 8L/16L its simply not as simple as doubling everything.

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
BTW, that's a nice even curd cut. Do you use a curd harp?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
Spoons - I just used a knife for cutting the curd. My next item to obtain is a curd harp. Or see if I can convince my brother to make your harp for me!
Also Spoons, are you now using a full size, 6 inch deep pan in your set up? I did not think you had room for your sous vide device in your plastic pan along with a full size pan. Did you change your set up?
Susan

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
That's one steady hand you have there! My manual cuts looked like a picasso.

Yes. I did upgrade to 16L with the same sous-vide circulator. I now have an 8L and 16L setup. here's the thread:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12461.0.html

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »
This is just me thinking out loud. (Someone like LB would have the full/correct explanation.)

I think it is because the culture divides exponentially and not linearly so to reach the same ph at the same pressing time you may have to start with sqrt(2) x initial amount.

so 1.414 * 1/8 th teaspoon or aprox 3/16 ths tsp starting culture.

I could be wrong though...

Cheers,
Bill
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 08:59:53 PM »
Vacuum sealed at about one week along due to cracks in the rind, and fairly dry rind. I was afraid it would just fall apart, or the blues would get in there pretty deep.

5-25-14: Cheese 4 weeks along,  weight at 3# 12 oz.
I cut into cheese with trepidation because of the pH dropping too fast during the make.  I expected dry, bitter, and crumbly.…
But I am not disappointed in the make after all. Paste is smooth with some mechanical holes. Easy to slice, and not crumbly. Melting well. A great cheese for on a tortilla! The flavor is mild, with a pleasant sort of tangy after taste. I am happy to share this one!
Since this was a 4 gallon make, that means I can re-bag some and test the cheese at later stages!!
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »
That looks, and sounds like, a real success! A cheese to you!

- Jeff