Author Topic: My 4th Tomme  (Read 5197 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 4th Tomme
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
Just an update on the rind development on this.  The linens are getting over-run by moulds now.  We're now at 916g and 15.0 x 4.6 cm, for 1.13g/cm3.  I gave it a brushing down after the photo and it sort of has a wet grass type aroma.  This is different from the aroma I usually get from brushing back my rinds, which is normally more like hazelnuts.  The brown mould is one I don't usually get so, something is different in this cheese's world and it's attracted new helpers.  Still a few months to go before it's ready I think, but coming along nicely.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 02:14:53 AM »
Looks very promising, Jeff. Quite a Geo bloom going on there, but it's clear there's a lot more growing under it. Should be interesting down the road.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
And I thought my recent Caerphilly was scary! You have some pretty impressive growth on that cheese. I think my husband would be very worried indeed if he saw something like that in my cave. Of course that might teach him to keep his nose out of there!
Thank you for the progressive pictures Jeff. That provides quite an education on how a rind might progress. A cheese to you for helping my education yet again.
Susan
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
Thanks all.  Yes, the rind is progressing nicely.  I've given it a brush, which helps to "refresh it" and mix up the spores over the surface.  Looks less scary now, but you can see the linens undercoat.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
Hi Jeff,  Just quick question... are you worried about the weight loss ? I wonder how thick the rind is.  It certianly looks wonderful and something I keep trying for but never quite get there.  I think my 'Cave' (wine fridge) is a little too dry and sterile.  Back on the 'SHow my your Cave' post you can see mine. it now has a waxed St Paulin and and a Cheddar.  Maybe I need to re-engineer the 'cave' with wooden shelves and work on the RH.

Any suggestions

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »
Hi Mal,

Not worried about the weight loss.  Most of the weight loss is shedding excess moisture.  Will take this out to around 7 months and then cut into it.  I've got a Dunlop that is close to a year old that I'll cut into around end of November when my parents come.  Will see how thick the rind is on that. ;)

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
Got a whiff of amonia from this today, so decided it was time to cut into it.  It weighs 868g, and measures 14.5 x 4.5 cm, for 1.17g/cm3.  Paste is very nice and moist, and flexable.  Taste has a bit of bitterness, but I think that will fade as it airs a bit.  Will brush back the mould to prevent over ripening now. 

John@PC

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
A very nice result Jeff with a beautiful rind.  Do you find it best for natural rind cheeses like this to let the surface "grow wild" so to speak to benefit from the flavors imparted or best to dry brush or brine wash periodically?   

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 02:09:14 AM »
Hi John,

I usually brush the rind back, but on this one I let it grow and go as I wanted something like a tomme de savoie.  Wild geo can ammoniate, which was starting to happen, so you have to do a sniff test every so often, but one should be airing it out, etc, to avoid it.  I forgot to do that with this one.  Ooops!  The ammonia is dissipating now, and this is a very nice cheese.   Making it again, I would probably brush it back a few times during the aging but let it grow back just before the due date. 

- Jeff