Author Topic: Greetings from Washington DC  (Read 3462 times)

Worlock

Greetings from Washington DC
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
./wave

Hi,  my name is Ted.  Just started trying to do this homemade cheese gig.  I suck really bad, but hey I'm trying.  I started out making cottage cheese, then moved to Fetta.  Finially today I finished up some Mozzarella.  Complete Fail.  LOL.  Tastes wonderful but I didn't get the lovely squishy balls.  I burned my hands to oblivion.  I thought, heck I'm a guy I can handle a little pain.

Uhg... Pain yes, but sweet mother of god not that kind of pain.  lol.

Tastes soooooo good though.  I think I'll just press it down and brine it.  See what happens :)

So anyway,  just sayin hi.

MrsKK

Re: Greetings from Washington DC
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
Yowch!  Just a tip - wearing a pair of latex gloves can really help heat resistance.  I also will do early stretching of the mozz with wooden spoons to save on my hands.

I've not made a successful (IMHO) batch of cottage cheese yet.  I mostly make cheddar, Derby, mozzerella, and have played around with the cheeses that Fankhauser has on his web page.

Hey, the flavor is everything.  Well, with mozz you definitely want the stretchy melting, too!
Welcome to the forum!

Worlock

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
It was quite a lesson to learn.  I'm definitely going to get some gloves for next time.  I did a test run with a few curds in 190 deg water and it stretched just fine.  When I tried to do the batch, ... ... well it all went to fail.

Like you said, taste is what matters.  Thankfully it was full of yummy goodness :) 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »
Welcome.

Good call about the brine. Most Mozz doesn't have much flavor and needs the salt.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
Agrees with Carter.  Mozz is at best virtually tasteless to me.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
That's because the last batch of cheddar you ate still had the wax on, just like Homer at the chili cookoff.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:44:54 PM »
Hello Ted and welcome to the forum, looking forward to your input!

I think you are the first one here from US District of Columbia, so I've just added it to our listing of member locations and added a Geographic Board in case you want to post anything "local".

Good luck with Moz! Some nice video clips .

Worlock

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
Cool :)

Hey I'm making a homemade cheese press tonight.  I'll post a picture thread of my progress in a bit :)

20 bucks beats 200 hands down if'n ya ask me!

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
Ted

Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the Pasta Filata pulled type cheeses.

Yep, making a cheese press yourself is way cheaper and more fun, but fellow member Carter makes and sells some beautiful machines! FYI, there's a whole bunch of other members' presses and some pictures of antique ones in the Equipment - Cheese Making Board, looking forward to your post on your new machine there.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »
Wayne try throwing some chopped basil or chives in there when you do your last pull. It's not a strong flavored cheese but it has it's uses - especially in Italian food!

Agrees with Carter.  Mozz is at best virtually tasteless to me.

Tea

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »
Good morning Ted and welcome to the forum.