Author Topic: Beerphilly  (Read 4731 times)

JimSteel

Beerphilly
« on: May 06, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »
Wanted to try something bold, so I bought the strongest local beer that I could find.  Mill St. Cobblestone Stout.

Here's a loose outline of my make.

4L PH skim milk, 420mL 35% cream, 1/8 tsp meso and aroma mixed in equal amount.

Raise to 32C add CaCL, add rennet
Add cultures, wait 5 mins.
Stir and hold at 32C for 45 mins.
Cut to 1cm, heal 5 min
Cook 30 mins while stirring.  Raise to 35C over the time.
Hold for 30 mins (recipe calls for 45 minutes, i lowered it)
Drain whey.
Add 1 can of Cobblestone stout warmed to 35C
Hold for 25 mins, stirring occasionally (this pseudo-cheddaring process in the beer was an addition to the recipe)
Drain, pack, press, start at 10lbs, build up to 30lbs and press overnight.
Brine at 20% for 2 hours

Worked out pretty well, my knit wasn't perfect, but I'll be trying my new cream wax on it, so it's not a big deal.
I collected the "beer whey" afterward and drank it.... pretty tasty.
Marbling wasn't tremendous, it smells like a stout though.

JeffHamm

Re: Beerphilly
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
Will be interesting to see how this one turns out.  Has a nice colour to it already though, so hopes are high. 

- Jeff

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
That marbling we see on commercially made beer, port, wine, sage cheeses has dye involved - the homemade real deal won't look at striking, but should still be flavorful!

JimSteel

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
This picture was right out of the press.  It's darkened somewhat as it's dried out, but not a lot.  It is slightly disappointing when you have images of those deep commercial browns in your head and only end up with slight tannish venation.  It does smell excellent though, so I have my hopes up.

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
A cheese for you! Excellent looking cheese!

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
Another cheese to you Jim.

I have yet to try one of those beer or wine infused cheeses , does the flavor of the beer come thru very strong in the final product ?

I do love the look of the veining when cut into.

JimSteel

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:42:45 AM »
Another cheese to you Jim.

I have yet to try one of those beer or wine infused cheeses , does the flavor of the beer come thru very strong in the final product ?

I do love the look of the veining when cut into.

I'll let you know in a month, jwalker.  It does smell freakin' amazing though - I can't get over it - even after I cream waxed it today.

P.S.  Update.  I cream waxed it today.... off to the cave!

H6

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 03:35:03 AM »
I've been eagerly awaiting the results! How's the beerphilly?

JimSteel

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 04:16:20 AM »
Wow, it's been a over a month already.  Well, I guess I better test that cheese soon.  Will post with results some time this week.

graysalchemy

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »
Given me an idea I have an elderberry stout which I brew, I wonder if that would make a good addition  :)

GlabrousD

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »
Will post with results some time this week.

Can't wait :)

Cheers, GD

JimSteel

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 03:33:14 AM »
Here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for!

I cut it open two days ago and as a rare treat, I was quite pleased with the result!  This was the first cheese I tried a cream wax on, though I did not apply a layer of regular wax over the top.  I'm pretty happy with the way the cream wax works and it peels right off the cheese after being cut into.  The rind of the cheese was rather rubbery though and had to be removed anyway.  Oh well, a work in progress.

Texture was quite nice.  Firm with a bit of a bend to it.  That many holes aren't common in the cheeses I make and I rarely go up to 30lbs pressing.  It's possible the beer (yeast?) had something to with it. (It does have somewhat of a central bloat from gas build up)

Flavour was pleasant, but not salty enough for me.  Definite beer taste and aroma, not too intense, but well balanced with the caerphilly taste.  That category was a winner.  If it had just a touch more saltiness, it would be a home run.

Conclusion:  It's definitely worth repeating, but my wife won't touch it.  She hates anything that even vaguely smells or tastes of beer.

Geodyne

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:18 AM »
...more for you then? Surely a winner!

GlabrousD

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 06:57:24 AM »
Nice looking cheese. A cheese for your success :)

Cheers, GD.

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 07:34:45 AM »
A cheese to you Sir!  I think the colour is fantastic, looks like an aged gouda.  Definately looks like one that would be worth repeating. 

- Jeff