Author Topic: First attempt at making cheese!  (Read 1093 times)

RouxBdoo

First attempt at making cheese!
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »
Well I got my first cultures and rennet in the mail today.  I also bought some citric acid at the grocery store.  I plan monday to make some fresh mozzarella, and when I can get some more fresh goat's milk, make some chèvre.

I made the simple farmer cheese and some yoghurt cheese and want to go to the next step.  I am so excited, if these goes well, I might try to find a used Wine Cooler and possibly make some cheddar or gouda.

I dearly love cheese and have always wanted to make it, so here goes.  Wish me luck.

Tim :D

Digitalsmgital

Re: First attempt at making cheese!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:39:03 AM »
Hey Tim!

I can feel your excitement and applaud your enthusiasm! Who doesn't love cheese?

Good luck!

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:32:03 AM »
Hi RouxBdoo,

Welcome to the board, and yes, it's a lot of fun.  But, just to let you know, Mozz is not really a very easy cheese.  I've never had it turn out for me to be honest (though I've come close once).  It's hard to get a good stretch with pasturized/homogenized milk.  I would suggest trying some semi-lactic makes (you can drain the curds in a bag if you don't have a small mould).  Much more reliable, and some can be eaten right away, so you don't need to age them.  If you get yourself a mould and can stack some weights, or have some other way to press the cheese (stacking 30 kg of free weights on a 6.25" inch mould is enough), then go for caerphilly.  Nice easy hard cheese, and edible in 3 weeks so you can work on your technique and get feedback pretty quickly. 

However, this, like all advice, should be listened to but not necessarily followed.  That decision remains with you and you should try whatever cheeses you want.  The point is, after all, to enjoy the adventure.

- Jeff

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
I am so excited, if these goes well, I might try to find a used Wine Cooler and possibly make some cheddar or gouda.

I am a newbie also, have been at it eight months now. I have one Port Salut, 2 cheddars, 2 caerphillys, and four goudas made, several of them already eaten, yet I use ice bottles and blue ice inside of an ice chest. I am pretty good at keeping the temperature between 50 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am buying new supplies for the year and will probably move up to a temp-controlled wine cooler, but just know that you can save your money until you are convinced this is something you want to pursue.