Author Topic: Wine fridge too cold  (Read 5513 times)

amiriliano

Wine fridge too cold
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
HI all-

I'm using an inexpensive wine-fridge as my cave. Overall it works well but now that the outside temperature is increasing, I find I have to turn the cooling system down. Problem is, the dial is not very sensitive, and even the smallest tweak makes the temp drop to the 40's. I'm trying to get it in the 50's. Any ideas on how to get better control?

Thank you!

Offline Bear and Bunny cheese

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • If it feels good, brew it!
Re: Wine fridge too cold
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »

Hi amiriliano,
  I suggest getting an external controller like this one.
http://morebeer.com/products/analog-temperature-controller.html?site_id=5
You can set it to what ever temperature you want with quite good precision.
Cheers, Nathan
Nathan

amiriliano

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
Thanks!

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
Hi amiriliano.  FYI we make and sell our own digital temperature controller / thermostats that can be used for cooling control, heating milk (or water for sous vide) or both.   The manual Johnson Controls thermostat works well (I used one for over a year) but a digital like ours or the Johnson Controls A419 will give you the true temperature readout, adjustable differential, etc.  Our CCT adds a few extra bells and whistles like audible hi-lo temperature alarm and detachable temperature probe.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
My wine fridge had the control unit mounted on the back , I took the cover off it and found it had two screws , one to set the high temp (start compressor) , and one to set the low temp (stop compressor) , I found that by adjusting these two screws a few times , I finally got it to stay within the range I needed for cheese.

Not sure if every unit has these adjustments on it though , but it may be worth a look.

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
Nice looking stuff on your site John@PC.  I`m  interested in your humidity control package.  Don`t have that much extra space in my little fridge.  How big is this and do I need to modify my fridge for it (drill venting holes etc)?
Nathan

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
Bear, fwiw I have his humidity controllers in my mini-fridge caves (3 of them).  They are small, and are perfect performers; love them.
- Paul

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
From you, the recommendation is gospel.  Thanks buddy!
Nathan

John@PC

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
I`m  interested in your humidity control package.  Don`t have that much extra space in my little fridge.  How big is this and do I need to modify my fridge for it (drill venting holes etc)?
  Thanks Nathan.  The humidifier is 5" x 5" x 6" high, and the total footprint will depend on the size of the water pan / dish you use.  The cable is pretty flat and we supply a tapered door-entry fixture to minimize gaps in the door seal.

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
Awesome John! I did some measurements and it will fit perfectly in my cave.   I`ve just placed my order with you at PC.  Looking forward to it.  Many thanks!
Nathan

CharlieB

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »
I got an STC-1000 controller new on ebay for about £10. This gives heating and cooling control which I use together with a heating pad to make a domestic freeze into a cheese cave.