Author Topic: Stainless hoops, timber followers  (Read 1793 times)

Sch2804

Stainless hoops, timber followers
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »
A local cheese maker has asked me to manufacture 100 4" timber discs to fit their stainless hoops.  I believe these are called followers.  The one I've been given to copy is made from American cherry.  Is there a reason for this?  Are they always made of cherry/fruitwood?  Would beech or maple be appropriate? Is there a reason all commercially available ones appear to be made of plastic?  Any information greatly appreciated. Cheers

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Stainless hoops, timber followers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »
Hardwood would be best, as in fruitwoods.  Soft woods would absorb the whey and soon be useless.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 01:03:01 AM »
As I understand it, the wood that is most neutral with respect to food is beech. My next choice would be a hard maple. I'd be worried that cherry would impart some flavor, along with others such as oak or walnut. And as Al says, stay away from soft woods.

I have a couple of followers made out of laminated bamboo, which seems to be pretty neutral with respect to flavor -- but even then I don't put these right next to the cheese; I use these wood followers only to back up a plastic follower.
-- Andy

Sch2804

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »
Thanks all.
I'll pass your thoughts on to my client. 
All the best