Author Topic: Dried clover as flavoring agent  (Read 1078 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Dried clover as flavoring agent
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:55:55 AM »
A Swiss friend of mine has some dried herbs her daughter brought her from Switzerland. These herbs supposedly flavor the cheese called Schabziger. Could the clovers add some flavor to a make of a different variety if they were in some boiling water first, and then the water added to the milk. Or could they be used in a rind treatment? She asked if I want the herbs....
Susan

Alpkäserei

Re: Dried clover as flavoring agent
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 05:41:11 AM »
i put herbs in my brine.  this i find to be the most reliable method of adding flavor to the cheese. the salt in the brine helps to draw the herbs deep into the cheese.

schabziger is a re-cooked cheese, like ricotta, and isnt flavored by culture since it is nearly boiled. the herbs are there to give it some flavor, but you dont have the same concerns as you might with a different cheese. i have added an herb tea to my milk before, but only in very small quantity (and probably wont do it again) adding too much will affect your culture. (too much water)

my schedule now is going to be, special herb brine followed by alcohol wash.

appenzeller is washed with a special liquor infused with 30 some herbs (appenzeller Kraeutersulz)

jwalker

Re: Dried clover as flavoring agent
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
I think they could be used in any number of different cheese types.

I've done Gouda , Jack , Havarti , and Cheddar and Swiss , with a few different herbs and other flavorings , like Dill (my favorite) , toasted onion , garlic , capers and peppers.

I use about 1/4 cup of herbs in 1/2 cup water , boil to sterilize , cool , strain , add the now flavored water to the milk while heating it , and add the solid herbs to the curd just before putting in the mold , they've all been good.

Never tried clover , but don't see why it shouldn't work just as well.

Dill is my favorite and it seems to work good on any type of cheese , I never thought of adding flavors to the brine , sounds like another good way to do it as well .