Author Topic: Caerphilly - 2 months aged  (Read 1622 times)

RobinsonN

Caerphilly - 2 months aged
« on: December 29, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
Hi again,

I opened my two month old Caerphilly over Christmas, and thought I would share it with you.

It tasted pretty good, but one defect has disappointed me - some blue mould infiltrated the cheese (please see picture).  I am confused about this, as my notes indicate that the knit was good.  Does anybody have an explanation as to why this happened?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas,
Neil

Matthewcraig

Re: Caerphilly - 2 months aged
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Great looking cheese, so a cheese for you. The blue mould could have something to do with cross contamination, or if the cheese was being matured with other blue cheeses could very easily have just 'slipped' in.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:02 AM »
A beautiful Caerphilly and another cheese for you.
I think that it shows how capable blue mould is of getting anywhere and everywhere. At least you know that it won't spoil your cheese.
- Andrew

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
Great looking cheese!
Seems like the blue didn't spoil it.
Ac4u

Mermaid

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
 Did you have blue molds growing on the outside during aging? Did you wash or brush them off?
This cheese is really beautiful and t looks a like the blue growth was limited. Count it as a success !
Also stupid question but what are the brown spots on the rind? I have them on my cheese too just wondering.
Keep up the good work!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
Nice!! A cheese for you...

:-) Danbo

RobinsonN

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
Hi Mermaid,

Apologies for the delayed response…

I am not entirely sure what the brown specks are, though I have seen them on many photos on the forum.  I hope someone can enlighten us!

Talking of mould, I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, and had left an unattended Lancashire style cheese aging in the cave!  Photos will appear shortly, on the ‘Hard Cheddared’ page.  Quite scary looking, but it brushed up well.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »
For some reason, I have more trouble with blue incursion in my Caerphillies than in my Lancashires or others that I leave unwaxed. Not sure why ... but as long as it is minor enough, I just eat around it (or sometimes eat it) and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
-- Andy