Author Topic: Azorean Milk Liqueur  (Read 9129 times)

murmur

Azorean Milk Liqueur
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
I spent a month in the Azores in 2012.
I developed a taste for their Licor De Leite-Milk Liqueur
It only just occurred to me that this is actually a flavored Whey Liqueur.
After straining I will use the solids to make a cheese pudding.
I think I have found a great use for a portion of my extra Whey ;D
Finally I can tell my wife that drinking is good for me!!! >:D

I am going to make a batch today
1L of Vodka or Alcohol of choice
1L of Milk
1kg of sugar
1 Vanilla Pod
1 Lemon-rind on-deseeded, cut in slices
1oz grated Dark Chocolate
Place in glass container with tight sealing lid. Shake daily for 15 days and strain through a paper filter, cheesecloth or muslin
I plan on saving the solids(cheese) and making a pudding
Will post pics
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:27:22 PM by murmur »

jwalker

Re: Azorean Milk Liqueur
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »
Very interesting , thanks for posting it , the timing is great,

I just started making my own Vodka and just finished 1 gallon with another ready in a week or so , it is 46% ABV, a little stronger than store bought.

I have been looking for different recipes to make liqueurs , I am definitely going to try this one myself , in fact the wife is picking up some vanilla beans today.

So far I have made one small batch of coffee liqueur , and get this , the vodka only costs about one dollar a bottle to make , pretty much just sugar , yeast and water.

Looking forward to see how yours turns out.

murmur

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
Very interesting , thanks for posting it , the timing is great,

I just started making my own Vodka and just finished 1 gallon with another ready in a week or so , it is 46% ABV, a little stronger than store bought.

I have been looking for different recipes to make liqueurs , I am definitely going to try this one myself , in fact the wife is picking up some vanilla beans today.

So far I have made one small batch of coffee liqueur , and get this , the vodka only costs about one dollar a bottle to make , pretty much just sugar , yeast and water.

Looking forward to see how yours turns out.

It is a interesting recipe. Once it has been properly and gently strained it yields a clear amber liqueur. A perfect use for your Vodka. I did not alter the Original recipe that I got in the Azores, but by just looking at it, I feel that the sugar may be a little on the high side. Perhaps a more reasonable ratio would be 1-1-1. One cup Vodka to one Cup Milk to one cup of Sugar.

I have not made it before so maybe some of the sweetness will remain behind with the solids. In that case, then the recipe makes more sense.
I will post results as they unfold. I look forward to hearing your experiences with this recipe.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:06:33 PM by murmur »

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »
Ok , I just got my vanilla beans today , I mixed up a half gallon of this.

It already tastes great ! ;D

Some recipes call for 10 days and others say fifteen , either way it's going to seem like a long time after tasting how good it is now.  ;D

I'm thinking the solids left over may be something like cheese cake. ^-^

murmur

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:11:03 AM »
I agree. It smells great right from Day 1

murmur

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »
Well-I succumbed to temptation and strained the liqueur through a double thickness of muslin cloth lining my conical strainer. Let it drip about 4 hours and then refrigerated the remaining solids-WOW
It tastes amazing.
Beautifully clear-a bit pale because I acidulated with citric acid and only 1/2 a lemon.
Next time I will probably zest the lemon to intensify the color.
Overall- I am quite pleased
Whey Cool
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:32:23 AM by murmur »

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Looks good , that looks like a lot , how much did you make ?

It looks a little paler than some of the pics I googled when researching it , is that ten days ?

Mine is still in the jug , letting it go for another 7 days yet.

So was the leftovers good to eat ?

I'll post a pic of mine when it is finished , it smells great.

A cheez Loueez !  ;D

murmur

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
I used 750ml of vodka plus 1L of milk
Basically ended up with 1.5l of Liqueur.
It was my first attempt and of course I had no previous benchmark to anticipate the finished color. Unstrained it looked like med color chocolate milk.
Next time I would zest some lemons-blanch them to soften the acrid bitterness and macerate them to intensify the color.
Mostly this batch will be used to fortify my morning coffee ;D
The liqueur is less sweet than I anticipated with much sweetness remaining in the solids(which by the way are every bit as delicious as the liqueur.
I spread some on a toasted Raisin Bagel this morning and it was fantastic.
I think it was that Kootenay Meadows milk that made it so good. ^-^

gjfarm

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
OMG -- That looks and sounds so....  good.  Off to the store to get fresh lemons.  Will be using fresh goats milk.  Wonder how it will do.

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
Milk Liqueur - who would have thunk it   :D.  Almost sounds like an oxymoran, but even though I'm a beer-loving South Carolina redneck resident I love Bailey's Irish Creme and Kahlua so this really looks interesting, esp. with the cheese aspect to it.  JWalker:  any good links you have for your "wadka" recipe?

jwalker

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
Milk Liqueur - who would have thunk it   :D.  Almost sounds like an oxymoran, but even though I'm a beer-loving South Carolina redneck resident I love Bailey's Irish Creme and Kahlua so this really looks interesting, esp. with the cheese aspect to it.  JWalker:  any good links you have for your "wadka" recipe?

I have a batch of this milk liqeuer that I am going to strain tomorrow at 10 days , will post some pics of it when done.

John , I am having a great time with this recipe , it makes a very neutral tasting spirit , great for making liqeuers or even highballs or pretty much any mixed drink.

6 gallons water , mine is spring water so no chlorine etc. , 8 pounds white sugar , 1/2 cup of bakers yeast , or 1/4 cup distillers yeast (bakers yeast works best for me) and 2 tbs. yeast nutrient.
Dissolve sugar in 2 gallons of hot water , add 4 gallons cold water , add yeast & nutrient when cool enough , stir well , let ferment till dry (about two weeks depending on temp) , it's done when no trace of sweetness can be detected in the wine.
Run thru a pot still , should yield about 5-6 quarts of 45% clear spirits when done.

I originally started by distilling some of my least favorite wines , but they have a very strong taste , this is much better , and very economical , especially here in Canada.

Interestingly enough , I use the same 4 gallon stainless pot that I use for making cheese , as a pot still for making this , I can post pics and give some details if you like.

There is lots of good info on this site   http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php?sid=f83641fed0eff91dd7b1db1919446d76

Cheers !

gjfarm

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
I'm on my way.  Just a few days old and looking pretty good.  One is "plain" and the other with chocolate and vanilla bean.

jwalker

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
That looks really good , mine never separated like yours though , I guess that's the difference between fresh goats milk and store bought P/H milk.

I strained mine out last night , poured it into a large cloth and let it hang over a container all night , it is still kind of cloudy , tried using paper coffe filters but there was really no difference.

It isn't a clear amber that I saw in pictures when googling it , but no matter really , it is very delicious all the same , and the remaining solids are great to eat as is.

gjfarm

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
The verdict is in.  Yum and Yum.  The golden one is with the chocolate and vanilla bean.  The 'curd' tastes almost like a chocolate mousse.  The milky jar is the basic recipe with the 'curd' tasting a lot like lemon, but boy what a kick!  Interesting how they turned out different colors.  On the basic recipe I started draining thru a coffee filter, but got impatient and ran it thru a double cheesecloth, then a milk filter and then several times thru a doubled coffee filter, it never did clear up completely.  The chocolate has been strained just once thru a double coffee filter.  Can't imagine that some people are actually throwing the curd part out.  Going to make some crumpets to serve with the curd.  Certainly will be making some more-will try with Everclear on the next batch.

murmur

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 02:43:45 AM »
I am glad that you like it.
Mine was pale but very clear with a single pass through some muslin cloth I "borrowed" from my wife's quilting studio :)