Author Topic: Can you "engineer" a pasture?  (Read 5988 times)

Back 2 The Frotture

Re: Can you "engineer" a pasture?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »
I would be interested in seeing this summary you mentioned.  Perhaps your idea just needs a few compromises or evolutions.  This subject is too interesting to drop off the dock.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
I've got a bunch of stuff, incl. that summary.  Just PM me with your e-mail, or PM me and I can give you my e-mail, I'll send them your way.  Do you read French?  A lot of the literature I peruse is in French.  My summary is a .doc, the others are all PDFs. 

Keep in mind when you look at my summary, is that these are all species actually observed eaten - any flora that were not favored by the cows in the lower pastures and higher Abondance alpages were excluded from the studies.

I mentioned to you, I'm extremely traditionalist in so many ways.  I'm also a purist, to a fault with no false plea begging meant - it really is a fault.  It's not easy for me to compromise a vision, once conceived.  Unfortunately I may be forced to do just that, if I and my family remain here in the States.  I'm interested in doing some Rocky Mountain studies, as a start. 

It's also interesting to note - I believe it was in Voisin's Grass Productivity - that there are some studies discussing palatability of the same species at different altitudes.  The one that comes to mind mentions that the lower elevations tended to produce a woodier version at the same stage of apparent growth.  Which I find really interesting in terms of some of these more "bizarre" or surprising plants consumed. 
- Paul

bill shaver

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »
Well well, never thought i'd see an article like this, in days before they'd at the milk boards in ontario would frown upon off tasting milk, infact it could be refused, results of milk boards is that all milk in comingled, all brreds... thats collectivization for you, all milk was treated like tjis, but yes different flora in pastures will impact flavor on the milk, some desirable some not. But in the guise of artisanal cheese or butter can be to your adavantage as imparting a identifier of your product..like wine...etc, etc... wild carrot, wild hops, butter cups, blac eyed susans, all forms of unusual growth. A cow will graze from around 10 am till about 3pm, times when charbohydrate highest in plants, hence why you'd cut hay at that time of day, at night not very good, low chardsbs in the hay, aslo this time of day low moisture. Cows will eat what is tender & palatable to them, if somthing upsets their stomache they will avoid it.. Ted to see this amongst Jerseys, canadienne, short horn, beef breeds,