Owing to the success, and subsequent consumption of my first 2 Caerphillys, I made number 3.
Recipe from 200 easy cheeses, with 2 exceptions.
1) A Floc multiplier of 4. This gave a 60 min total set time, as opposed to a recommended 45 mins in the book.
2) A lighter pressing than before. I pressed the first 2 at around;
10 kg, 30mins,
redress, 10kg 30 mins,
28 kg overnight, then into the brine.
I have felt (rightly or wrongly) that maybe the pressing was a little too much to allow the brine to be fully absorbed. I have little knowledge of brining.
This time around (after reading Ian Truer, and The greening of Gavin, etc, googled), I went with
5kg, 30 mins
redress, 5kg 30 mins
12 kg overnight (plus a bit).
The cheese is now out of the brine and is air drying.
I may have done things a little better this time around, my first 2 cheeses weighed 900g and 920, this one weighs in at 1145g, and the cheese is physically bigger than the previous two, presumably because of the lighter pressing.
not sure why 2 of the pics have come out on their sides....captions should read,
1) curds resting bang on 35 degrees
2) under 12 kg pressure (I am so pleased with my new homemade press)
3) weigh in
4) and into the brine (18%).