Author Topic: Saint Paulin #4 . . . sweet little cheese, be good to me  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Saint Paulin #4 . . . sweet little cheese, be good to me
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
The last time I attempted to make this cheese, I believe the P&H milk defeated me. With this make I want to confirm that it was the milk and that this is a sweet little cheese.

3 gallons Twin Brook Creamery whole creamline milk
8 oz Twin Brook Creamery cream
1/8 tsp TA-61
1/8 tsp Alp D
1/2 tsp CACL
1/32 tsp dry calf rennet

Followed recipe. I did add a little extra cream to this make.

Should be ready to eat in six weeks.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

Re: Saint Paulin #4 . . . sweet little cheese, be good to me
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:15:50 AM »
A second cheese to you for these sweet little ones!  They look very tasty already.  I'm going to give my muenster a second try once I make a bit of room in my cave, and this image has reminded me of that.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. Always encouraging. :)

The richness of the milk I used for this and the Wensleydale urge me to get a few more cheeses made while the cows are chomping on all that lush green grass. My mind moves, in consideration, from Esrom to Tilsit to Beaufort...and then I think about all the possibilities you have given us. :-\

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
I had a little more trouble with the rind maintenance than I have had in the past efforts, but the end result is most satisfying.

The cheese is semi-firm, as moist as it needs to be, pliable, creamy...most excellent! A tasty little cheese to be enjoyed with fruit and crusty bread, added to salads, or melted over toast or warm potatoes. Yum!

Unfortunately, these three little wheels won't last long...sigh! :(   Must make more! :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »
Looking very nice though.  Love the colour of the paste, and the rind is looking good too.  The mix of b.linens and geo (I'm assuming your white mould is a wild geo) should do wonders to the internal flavours, though the rind itself may be a bit less friendly.  But, it looks to be pretty thin, so it's really not a problem.  Well done, as usual.  I'll even give you another cheese for these fine wee ones.

- Jeff

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:09 AM »
I don't know why St-Paulin isn't so popular. It's such a wonderful mild cheese.

Your cheeses look great Boofer, Nice smearing job, the orange colour really came through!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
An update on the status of this cheese:

Wow, what a little aging can do to transform a cheese! This little cheese continues to develop in wonderful ways. There was a little residual moisture in the vacuum bag. I'm always afraid that any moisture is going to generate undesirable character in the rind and the cheese paste itself. Not so with this one. After slicing and tasting the cheese, the rind is slightly stinky but very tasty. I have not been a big fan of the taste of linens-developed rinds, but this is not off-putting and is actually very nice. It really adds to the enjoyment of the cheese.

After the disaster that was #3, this cheese renews my faith in the power of raw and creamline milk.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »
Very pretty - 4 must be your lucky number.  You deserve a cheese for the nice comeback.  I haven't made this but will put it on the cheese-bucket list  ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
Thanks, John.

Each time I make this cheese (except for #3, of course :P), it's amazing how easy it seems. When I cut into one of these cheeses, I section the small wheel into six wedges and vacuum-seal them. This makes it very convenient to grab it from the fridge and go, or for gift-giving. Good stuff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
It took a bit of willpower to keep from cracking into this small wheel before now. But I think six months' affinage for a small wheel like this is enough.  ;)

There is a slight wetness inside the vacuum bag but fortunately it didn't affect the rind on this cheese. The rind, although a bit moist, was firm and free of waxy or pasty character that oftentimes occurs with moisture next to the rind in bagged cheeses.

The cheese slices well and is creamy with a more pronounced and complex flavor than previously noted. I'm actually surprised with the flavor. I wasn't sure what to expect at six months with a cheese of these dimensions. Good stuff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 03:22:00 AM »
You have convinced me in keeping from cutting into mine in the bag - I have two  - -one waxed @ 3 months and one bagged @ 2 months.  I did notice the waxed one exuded a small amount of moisture, that was slightly tangy, whilst I had it out during my 'Cave' maintenance last week.  So, I will uncover it this weekend and post tasting notes and photos and keep the the for the festive season.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
Just a additional note to the one above.. I unwaxed the St.Paulin I made and waxed back in August.  As noted above there was whey leaking from the wax. I removed the wax and although was wet the rind was still structurally sound and wasn't gooey or slimy. The Cheese had a lovely 'Cheese' smell that was slightly tangy.  Seeing as I had to open a Cheddar as well this weekend I decieded to dry it off overnight and VacBag it.  Should be interesting at Christmas when this was going to be shared.. I'll post notes..

--Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !