Author Topic: Yesterday's two-fer . . . Wensleydale & Saint Paulin  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Yesterday's two-fer . . . Wensleydale & Saint Paulin
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »
I have been away from the kettle & double-boiler for a while. Yesterday I had some sweet Spring milk sitting around and decided to make one of my favorites and to try to emulate Jeff's Wensleydale. I have to admit I first heard of Wensleydale from Wallace & Grommit.

Making the Saint Paulin was partly a reaffirmation that this was a special cheese, though I'd been disillusioned the last time out.

Saint Paulin #4

===============================================================
Wensleydale #1

2 gallons Dungeness Valley Creamery whole raw milk
2 gallons Twin Brooks Creamery 2% creamline milk
8 oz buttermilk (unripened)
8 oz Twin Brooks cream
1/4 tsp Aroma B
1/4 tsp CACL
1/32 tsp dry calf rennet
3 TBS pickling salt

Loosely following Jeff's guidelines, I finished this morning with what looks to be a decent little cheese. Now for aging this future treat. ;)

Although I had vowed never to try to make three cheeses in a day, this two-fer stole 16 hours from yesterday (0430-2030). Yeah, I was bushed, but also quite pleased that I now had some fresh cheeses in the caves.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JimSteel

Re: Yesterday's two-fer . . . Wensleydale & Saint Paulin
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:19 AM »
I get the impression that you solely keep those creameries in business.  ;)

Very impressive, boof.  All four (correct me if I'm wrong) of your cheeses look amazing.  The colour is so intense.

What diameter are those St. P's?

Also, I'm curious, how much will a make like that Wensleydale cost you? (You can omit the cost of cultures, salt and various expenses like electrical bills to run a cave and the up front cost of said cave divided over the number of months/days you've owned it.  I'm just wondering about the milk :D )

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:02:06 AM »
That's a fantastic looking Wensleydale Boofer!  I've just given a cheese, but will try and remember to award you one after my hour's grace. 

- Jeff

I'm on a roll!  That's the 2nd time I said I would remember to give a cheese later, and actually remembered to give a cheese later.  I haven't had such a good memory since I can't remember when! :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:45:04 AM by JeffHamm »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:14:18 AM »
I get the impression that you solely keep those creameries in business.  ;)

Very impressive, boof.  All four (correct me if I'm wrong) of your cheeses look amazing.  The colour is so intense.

What diameter are those St. P's?

Also, I'm curious, how much will a make like that Wensleydale cost you? (You can omit the cost of cultures, salt and various expenses like electrical bills to run a cave and the up front cost of said cave divided over the number of months/days you've owned it.  I'm just wondering about the milk :D )
Yeah, gotta love that rich pasture-derived, rich-in-betacarotene, sweet Spring milk....Gives a warm golden hue to the cheese. I pay a little more for the milk and ultimately the cheese, but Pav once provided guidance in that direction. I have had several examples brought home to me that quality milk produces (or allows one to produce) quality cheese. And if you try to "go bargain", you might get something like "the last time out" with cheaper P&H milk. I know other folks have been just fine with P&H, but it's not my friend. If you go to the trouble to make the cheese, age it, and tend it over months or longer, you want to improve the odds that you'll end up with a decent cheese in the end.

4 half gal x $3.69 (creamline) = $14.76
2 gal x $9.99 (raw) = $19.98
Total       = $34.74

The beauty of these two milks is the level of sweet cream that they possess. Then there's the rich natural golden color. Once I found these two sources, I almost didn't look back...at P&H...except again for that "last time out". Ugh!

They are Reblochon moulds (5.3inx2.6in/135cmx65cm). Good for Saint Paulins, Reblochons, mini-Tommes, etc. Very versatile.

I'm on a roll!
Thanks for the cheese, Jeff. Just trying to restock my caves. Now would be a good time to make some additions for the holiday cheese platter.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:12:39 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
Almost time for you to get around to that Butterkase!  With this great milk, it would live up to its name I'm sure.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
Almost time for you to get around to that Butterkase!  With this great milk, it would live up to its name I'm sure.
  Yup. Get crackin', Boof!   :)

JimSteel

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the info, boof.  I see people posting their top shelf milk for the makes, but didn't really have any cost standard to compare to.

I can't wait to see when this one is ready.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »

- Jeff
You know, I tried a true Butterkaese from Germany recently. Reminded me a little of my Esrom. A little stinky, creamy, semisoft cheese wrapped in protective wax.

Yup. Get crackin', Boof!   :)
Oooh...Snap!

Hi, george! :D  How ya doin'?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
I found this a bit ago:

"two most critical issues are pH at drain and pH at salting for cheddar, and actually, for most cheeses. Draining pH should be 6.0- 6.1 for cheddar. Yours was too  low, that means texture will be more crumbly. Second pH at salting should be 5.4-5.5.  5.6 is on the high range, typically the target is right at 5.4. It really makes a big difference to be even .1 off.

dry and crumbly cheese can be the result of multiple aspects. ph at whey drain is the big one. Overworking the curd, amount of rennet, ph at salting, ambient room temp, psi of press also all play a role.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:10:44 PM by linuxboy »
"

This make:
  • drain pH = 6.28
  • mill/salting pH = 5.40
-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:48:29 AM »
Oooh...Snap!

Hi, george! :D  How ya doin'?

-Boofer-
Still kickin'. :)

Butterkaese, butterkaese, butterkaese!  >:D