Author Topic: Saint Marcellin in terracotta pots  (Read 1499 times)

Pirri

Saint Marcellin in terracotta pots
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:20:03 AM »
Hi all,
I am new to cheese making (had an aborted attempt at Brie and now doing a washed rind).  I was considering a Saint Marcellin as I have always enjoyed that cheese but I have a question that may sound silly. 

All the recipes seem to follow a similar aging formula for Saint Marcellin as for other white mould cheeses, but whenever I have eaten a young Saint Marcellin bought from a store it has come in a terracotta pot.  Are the cheese just put into the pot prior to sale or serving or is part of their aging done in the pot?

I guess the reason I have though they must be party aged in the pot is the delicate nature of the young cheese

Cheers
Kim

jerryg

Re: Saint Marcellin in terracotta pots
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
I believe the pots are partly for transport protection, partly a marketing method. In the USA Saint Marcellin is almost always sold that way- in a ceramic or plastic pot. But in France, you'll find these cheeses loose and unwrapped.
Not really part of the aging process. But if your cheese is runny enough the container makes for easier eating and a nice presentation.

Pirri

Re: Saint Marcellin in terracotta pots
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:05:46 AM »
Thanks I was just curious.  I was debating about putting them in the pots when I put it in my cave.  I could still decide to do it for fun and but I guess that it's not really a necessity.