Author Topic: St. Marcellin: what did I do wrong?  (Read 6610 times)

GlabrousD

Re: St. Marcellin: what did I do wrong?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »
Good Suggestion Tête, I'll try that on my next Chaource make.

Cheers, GD.

PS. Love the "Cheese-Head" nom de plume :)

retrojim

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
Thanks for all the help folks.

I've come to the conclusion the problem all along has been supermarket milk. I finally found a good source of raw cow's milk (someone has a herd of Jerseys 2 miles from my house!) and what a difference! I made a manchego like cheese Saturday and last night I made a camembert. The set on the curds is totally different with raw, grass fed cow's milk. I'll try another batch of St. Marcellin once the camembert moves to the wrapping stage. At this rate I'm going to need to get a bigger cave!

I'm never using store bought milk again! Adding CaCl and lipase is a poor substitute for the real thing.

Now to find local goat's milk...

--Jim

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »
Thanks for all the help folks.

I've come to the conclusion the problem all along has been supermarket milk. I finally found a good source of raw cow's milk (someone has a herd of Jerseys 2 miles from my house!) and what a difference! I made a manchego like cheese Saturday and last night I made a camembert. The set on the curds is totally different with raw, grass fed cow's milk. I'll try another batch of St. Marcellin once the camembert moves to the wrapping stage. At this rate I'm going to need to get a bigger cave!

I'm never using store bought milk again! Adding CaCl and lipase is a poor substitute for the real thing.

Now to find local goat's milk...

--Jim
Good on you for making that discovery and for your decision to move to raw milk. Quite a difference in curd set, huh?

Here's my moment of epiphany: Saint Paulin #3

Good luck and have a cheese for making the break. 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.