Author Topic: Old original recipe mozzarella  (Read 7096 times)

mohamed

Old original recipe mozzarella
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
hello everyone

Cheese exists before industrial cultures

I propose Old  original recipe mozzarella without addition of bacterial culture
only the bacteria found in the raw milk the only difference is the time of acidification
every person must successfully mozzarella  O0

ingredient:

-raw milk ( any type of raw milk the best buffalo milk I use cow's milk )
-Rennet ( I use Animal Rennet Content of active chymosin 520MG/L - 1L either 1/10000th strength. Recommended dosage: 2 ml per 10 liters if the concentration changes the dosage changes is proportional )

1-Begin by heating the milk to 100F (38C). You do this by placing the milk in a pot or sink of very warm water. If you do this in a pot on the stove make sure you heat the milk slowly and stir it well as it heats

2-Then add the rennet and stir slowly top to bottom for about 30 seconds. The milk now needs to set undisturbed for 45 minutes while the rennet helps form the curd. Keep the milk at the 100F (38C) during this period, preferably using a sink or water bath of warm water. It can not be heated on a stove top because of the curd formation.

3-During the next 20 minutes cut the curd at 5cm intervals and then make the same cut spacing at right angles to the first cut. Allow this to rest 5 minutes then break the rest of the curd into walnut The smaller the pieces the more whey will be released and the drier the cheese.

4-The dry curds and whey can now be transferred to a colander or cheese mold to form into a consolidated curd mass.

5-Put in the refrigerator for 24H minimum (sometimes I let three days for lack of time should not be little acidity cheese because in the fase of Stretching
the taste of acidity will dissolve in hot water )

6-chopped into 2cm cubes and placed in the bowl or pot for heating and stretching.
The hot water is then added. Initially, about 2-3 cups are added by pouring at the edge of the curds (not directly on them) and the wooden spoon is used to gently move them around for heating. Gradually they will begin losing their shape and melding (not melting) into a smooth mass. If this is not happening after 3-5 minutes add another 2 -3 cups of hot water until you see the curd mass forming into a stretching mass.
With the wooden spoon you can begin the stretch by lifting this curd mass and allowing it to stretch from its own weight. If the curd mass begins to cool and the stretch becomes less, add more hot water. After doing this a few times and the curd begins to look like taffy, you can lift the curds while turning the spoon and winding into a smooth mass.
At this point you can dump the water and give the stretching curd a few of long pulls, folding it back on itself and the finally rolling it all into a ball. Be careful to not get too carried away with this because it is a lot of fun but you could dry out the cheese excessively if overdone.
During this stretch is a good time to add the salt as per your preferences or any other additions to your Mozzarella. If you want to make one of those amazing Prosciutto rolls this would be the time to do that as well.
For the final form I find it easiest to break the mass into 2 smaller balls because they are easier to handle. Now, hold the warm Mozzarella with thumb and forefinger of one hand using the other hand from underneath to push the curd up inside itself. Continue working the curd in this manner until the ball of cheese becomes smooth and shiny.

this is the original recipe without adding culture test it is very easy to realize

I await your comments

@+
Hidri

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:37:02 AM by Hidri Mohamed »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Old original recipe mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
Hidri
How many liters/quarts of milk do you use in a batch?
Nice looking Mozz
A cheese for you ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

mohamed

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:32 PM »
Hi,
10 liter because I do not have a larger container for the moment
but more milk is better

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
I try to do 19 L makes(5gallon)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

mohamed

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:08:18 AM »
It is just as easy to make a larger batch if you have a big enough pot for the milk

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
Now that sounds like real Mozzarella!
I will have to try it with my goat milk. I have never had success with any other recipe. I want real Mozzarella, I am Italian.

mohamed

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »
Hi steffb503,

-if any recipe mozzarella fails this is due to the acidification of milk (it does not reaches a good acidification it takes more time to stretching )
-new recipes this is a race to reduce the acidification time ( I personally am against especially the recipe for 30 minutes with the micro wave )
-Today I will make mozzarella with several types of bacterial culture I'll post the recipe and the result tomorrow after stretching (I always leave my cheese to rest at least 24 hours before stretching to have à good fondant mozzarella after I freeze the mozzarella to stop acidification of course if I make large quantities )

Offline Bear and Bunny cheese

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • If it feels good, brew it!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
Le but c'est d'avoir un pH de 5.3 pour obtenir un mozz qui va faire un "stretch".   
Nathan

jwalker

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »
That looks great Hidri , Mozzarella is one cheese I have not tried yet.

A cheese to you !

mohamed

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Le but c'est d'avoir un pH de 5.3 pour obtenir un mozz qui va faire un "stretch".   

franchement je ne sais pas car je n'ai pas un ph mètre  c'est pour cela je laisse 24h
il faut pas avoir peur de l'acidité avec la mozzarella + d'acidité et mieux que -
merci pour l'info

That looks great Hidri , Mozzarella is one cheese I have not tried yet.

A cheese to you !

maybe you don't like because I think that cheesemaker start by making the cheese that loves to eat

@+

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
Hello Hindri,

I have been given some raw buffalo milk. Will your recipe work as well?

How did your mozzarella go with starter culture added? Is the flavour better?

mohamed

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »
Hello cheeseslovesu

Hello Hindri,

I have been given some raw buffalo milk. Will your recipe work as well?

frankly I do not know I've never worked with raw buffalo milk

How did your mozzarella go with starter culture added?
for Mozzarella starter culture its just to speed up the acidification stage (a yogurt can be like starter culture)

Is the flavour better?
everything depends on you
me to have a better flavor I add lipase

TimT

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
Putting the curds in the fridge doesn't seem like a traditional step - sorry, I'm picky like that! Perhaps a traditional variant of this would be putting the curds in a cool cellar overnight (when temperatures would drop anyway). 

mohamed

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
Putting the curds in the fridge doesn't seem like a traditional step - sorry, I'm picky like that! Perhaps a traditional variant of this would be putting the curds in a cool cellar overnight (when temperatures would drop anyway).

it does not heat coal to say traditional  ;D

TimT

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:40:52 AM »
Well I've no idea what you meant but fair enough!