Author Topic: Old original recipe mozzarella  (Read 7097 times)

Frodage

Re: Old original recipe mozzarella
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 06:11:01 AM »
maybe you don't like because I think that cheesemaker start by making the cheese that loves to eat

@+

Hi Hidri,
I agree! I started with Gouda which I love. After making five, it's time to move to the next challenge. With your "slow food" recipe for mozzarella, I would like to try it. However, I really have never tasted a mozzarella that I actually "liked". Does anyone know of an excellently flavoured reference mozzarella that I can use as a basis to strive towards?

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
you would have to find a real Italian deli. A salted, braided Mozzarella is to die for!

Frodage

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 02:14:16 AM »
Hi Steff,
Thanks! I will head down to the Italian Centre in Edmonton and ask.

Frodage

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 03:38:33 AM »
I tasted the "best" mozzarella in Edmonton today. It was made in Toronto (3,000 km away!), was formed in a brick shape, and was disappointingly bland.  :(  The only other option, the lady told me, was a fresh bocconcini (spelling?). She admitted it was flavourless, but I tried it any way. Flavourless.

So, I still have no reference mozzarella. I'll keep looking.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »
Well I have finally made an almost perfect mozzarella. I have studied and researched and listened to advice and wow what a treat. I could even do the pop up ball forming through the thumb and forefinger with the buffalo milk mozzarella and the jersey milk version as we.
I have placed the balls in a 3% salt water brine and it seems to be preserving it nicely.
I do use a culture as the flavour is delightful and develops nicely after a few days.
Gianaclis's recipe is the best recipe yet.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
Looks very nice! :-)

A cheese for you.

:-) Danbo

John@PC

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »
Pretty mozz - a cheese for those and for your creative business name.  I've had my share of mozz failures, and finally I asked the question "What Would Cheeses Do?" and it just came to me like a miracle ::)

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
Thanks for my cheeses everyone and yes John I love my name too. Cheeses has really been my saviour!
I have just finished another batch of buffalo and jersey mozz - very happy with the end result once again. I love being able to squeeze a ball off between my thumb and forefinger just like the professionals. I am teaching this cheese to 9 students on Sunday and they are going to be very excited.

Frodage

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 03:21:13 PM »
Looks very nice!